What are the benefits of research in space?

I just do not understand NASA is now going into the next phase of exploring mars...looking for life or signs of life. Why? I read this in the news today. I just think about all the $ and think there are so many things that make more sense to me that the $ could be used for.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 1:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Some people are interested in feeding the world, others are interested in learning more about our world and the universe it happens to exist in.

There is a monstrous amount of waste, corruption, and fraud involved in most of the food programs as it is, and dumping more money into them won't fix that. Just because there are people who are hungry is no reason NOT to pursue science or other learning ~ ever.

We've already fallen far behind in our military, space programs, and education. Considering how broke the country is, we can't afford to slack off any longer. If we DON'T catch up, we'll end up as a third world country needing aid ... and I wouldn't be counting on any showing up. My advice is to work with your local programs to help people, where you can see that what you donate actually gets to the people who need it if that is what you are worried about. Or, get on your reps about the money that IS wasted.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• A way for the politicians to find a new way to waste money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The vast majority of our technology comes from our space program- you can google to see what great things have come about from the technology developed within the space program-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree 100% Farmlady!

I would rather spend money on hard working scientist then entitlement programs!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Most of our advances in technology over the last 30 years, including medical breakthroughs, have been due to space exploration. We wouldn't have satellites, cell phones, or GPS if it wasn't for space exploration. Even medical advancements and equipment often have origins in space research, such as heart pumps, Lasik surgery, RESQPod (used to more effectively administer CPR), and even something fairly simple like infared thermometers have origins in space research. We've had advancements in understanding our own planet that may help us as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• IMO, the space program is the ONLY successful program the govt has ever had its hand in. I support MORE not less funding for space.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• NASA actually generates money only program Gov has its hand in that does. So many of our technologies that save and make our lives better came from NASA. So many other programs do need to be revamped or eliminated NASA is not one of them.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 11:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• As others have already stated - NASA is the absolute only segment of the government that operates at a profit instead of a loss. I never understand the mentality that we should cut the one thing that actually works. Why would you want the country to be in an even bigger hole without NASA than it already is with NASA actually bringing money in?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree but just maybe we will learn something from it!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• They're trying to find a place to live when mankind has destroyed Earth.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2011