My dog just ate my iron pills

Anyone know how we can make him throw up? We have 0 dollars to take him in and they said to give him peroxide when we called them to make him throw up but nothing. Does anyone know anything else we can do? I don't want to lose my dog :( he's crazy smart. they were put in a cupboard and not even opened yet and he broke through the seal.

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 1:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Try ipec it makes u throw up it is in syrup form.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would suggest maybe giving him a laxative that is safe for dogs and get it to come out the other way. How many pills did he swallow? 1 or 2 should be ok.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Dh just suggested that you call posion control
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• we called poison control and they weren't much help. He swallowed all 100
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Ipec has the potiental of being toxic to dogs cause they will throw up intil they start thrown up blood. If possible make him eat alot of grass even if you have to spead a samll amout of peanut lightly over the grass, just a little will do, or make him drink milk inti he can drink no more. That may cause him to throw up if anything it will slow any progress of iron poisoning.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Is there no vet that takes emergency calls? I don't know what else to suggest other than Google iron posioning or ways to make a dog vomit?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He just pooped and it was solid. is that a good sign?
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No vet that we can afford. It's a hard call but being able to put food on the table for my kids is number 1. I just went back to work yesterday so money is still tight. the only vet by us wants almost 200 dollars and we just don't have that.
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Dogs are carnivores, and can tolerate high iron, because meat is high in iron. He may be okay, but administer the peroxinde anyway.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• stick a toothbrush down his throat it will work
    christina410

Answer by christina410 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2011