School cut off....

I was told by my son's principle that if his little sister was in pre-school or private school, they would let her start kindergarten on time with every one else- her birthday is August 15th- which likely will be the first day of school this fall- HOWEVER- I can't afford to PAY $200 a month for her to attend 3 hr a day "Preschool." It's hosted by the school district, but they charge $11.50 per day for them to attend. IF she were to go, that guarentees her a spot in Kindergarten regardless of her birthday being 14 days after the cutoff- can I push for discrimination of lower income families if they don't let her start? I understand rules are rules, but if they can be bent for someone who can pay for preschool, if she tests in, isn't that good enough?! What should I do? (Also, someone told me if I threaten to homeschool, they'll push to bend the rules because the district loses money on kids that don't attend public school... any advice please?!) She is smart, she's as tall as my almost 6 yr old son, very sociable, responsible. She is definately mature enough to handle it.

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would probably say the whole home school thing and see where I get. If it doesn't work, you can try a different school maybe. I am friends with someone who takes her dd to a kindergarden that is over an hour drive from her house. All she had to do was talk to the principal.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Is there a HeadStart program in your area? You should check to see. Thats a program meant for those with lower incomes. I thought it was federal. Google it. Ohterwise, I can't say much, its a terrible fact that where you come from 70% of the time determines where you end up cuase money makes the wolrd go round. I HATE IT.
    GaurdianSage826

Answer by GaurdianSage826 at 5:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2011