What's the best contraceptive for a breastfeeding mother with a newborn?

I want to do the IUD but I have to wait 6 weeks after my baby's born. What can I use during those six weeks so I don't end up pregnant immediately? Something to last those 6 weeks... ?

soulmeetsbody19

Asked by soulmeetsbody19 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• You should not be having sex before your post partum checkup. That's asking for pregnancy or infection. You're the most fertile right after having a baby and you aren't supposed to have intercourse until after you've been checked out because anything entering the vagina during that time period can cause an infection (it takes your body a while to go back to normal, like your cervix closing back to normal). If you do have sex, then definitely use a condom. After you go back to the doctor, go for the Paragard. It doesn't have any hormones, so there's no chance that it will effect your milk supply.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• condom
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 2:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Abstinence. You shouldn't be having sex before the 6 week mark. You can risk infection. If you're going to do it anyway, I'd suggest condoms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• what she said ^^^^
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Also it's highly unlikely that 1. You will be given the green light for sex prior to 6 weeks and 2. That you will get pregnant even without a contraceptive because of breastfeeding and just giving birth.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• condom just in case
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 3:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i ebf my 3mos old dd and i use only condoms. i forget to take the pill exactly on time and cant take the shot anyways..... spermicide irritates me and i dont trust the rhythm and withdrawl method......
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2011