What kind of baby food can I buy for my daughter who is 6 months old who is allergic to lactose and bananas?

My 6 month old daughter is allergic to bananas and has to have soy formula but we have started giving her solids and a lot of things have milk in it. Where can I buy solid baby food without milk being an ingredient?

BigDreamer21

Asked by BigDreamer21 at 2:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make your own. basically whatever veggies you fix, run them through the food processor or blender. my dd never really like store bought baby food. i always fixed her whatever we had. fruits and veggies. she started on table food at 4 months. she ate a lot of beans, peas, mashed potatoes, and carrots.
    clctalking

Answer by clctalking at 2:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yah I agree make it
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• That is really great advice and I will have to try it but what about certain dinner foods, such as lasagna or mac and cheese?
    BigDreamer21

Comment by BigDreamer21 (original poster) at 2:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well she can't have cheese, so they are out. Just buy baby food, peas, squash, sweet potatoes, apple sauce. There is a ton that don't have milk or bananas, read the label.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i luved making my sons baby food, and plan on making it for my daughter. i always know whats in it.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• So let's say I make for dinner mac and cheese and chicken Parmesan, can't I use soy milk instead of real milk and then put it in a food processor? And find soy cheese to use on the chicken?
    BigDreamer21

Comment by BigDreamer21 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011