How graphic do you think the sex talk should be?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 3:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Depends on your child's age and maturity level. You know your child, you can make the call about it. I would keep it at a strictly scientific level at first honestly, cause I don't want my child growing up with the stories of a princess and a prince who make babies, etc. I think I will try to explain it in simple terms of basic biology with all the emotional factors involved of course.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Be as graphic and upfront as you can be so that they know that it better to wait to have sex than to face what cuold happen to them
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 5:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't t hink having 'a talk' is a good way to do it, it should be an ongoing discussion, changing and building as they grow up.
    My 2 yr old knows that babies come from girl's tummies, and some people are boys and some people are girls.

She asks, i answer. What's the alternative, keep them ignorant? What will that help?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Add a couple of good books too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't think having 'a talk' is a good way to do it, it should be an ongoing discussion, changing and building as they grow up. I totally agree w/ Piskie. Our son (8) recently asked how a baby gets into a mom's tummy. Fortunately, he loves Animal Planet, so we talked a little about mating. Then he said, "I don't want to talk about this anymore because I can tell it's going to be kind of gross." So that was it for that conversation. We do use the correct anatomical terms for body parts and have ever since we starting talking about good touch/bad touch, parts of your body that are private, etc.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's an on going, age appropriate discussion that starts when they are young.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• not like they cant find out for themselves, so you may as well be honest with em. I'd rather they heard it from me then someone else or from the internet.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• depends on the age of the kid. ask what they already knows. you may be surprise at yhey know or what they think they know
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• should be ongoing and depends on the age-like the others have said
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think by the time your child is in high school and/or when they start seriously having boyfriends/girlfriends then you need to get a little graphic. Honestly, I think my child should know how to put a condom on properly before she gets into an intimate situation but someone is going to have to show her how to do that. I also think teens should know that there are a lot of intimate things that can be done that are pleasurable but can not lead to pregnancy, although there is still an STD risk to consider sometimes. Gosh, I'm kind of embarrassed even talking about it so I know it's going to be awful telling my kid(s) about it one day but I don't want her to fall prey to those classic lines teen guys use- you know like, "But I'll get blue balls if we don't...." and "You can't get pregnant if you're on your period" etc, etc. I want her to be informed with accurate info and to consider all her options. Who else will tell her?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011