Baby number two, is it too soon?

My daughter is 18 months and will be two in July. Me and her father have been talking about having, or trying for another one... But seeing the situation we won't start trying until around May or early June.

Is it too early for another child? & what could be some possible affects on my body and my family as a whole?

casicielo

Asked by casicielo at 4:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• my daughters are 22 1/2 mos apart (same as dh and i) and they are fine! dd1 LOVES her sis, and i got pregnant when she was abt 13 mos old.... she is fine, believe me i worried about that too and she was planned. and it worked out fine. no hitting no nothingif fact, today we wrere at our pediatricians for the lil one and we ere getting ready to leave and were taking a bit longer than normal and dd1 pointed at the carseat and said eleynana (her names eleyna but thts what dd calls her) and said ONE, TWO, THREE (which is what we do when we tell her to quit, cuz she has to the count of three to knock it off....and we BUSTED up laughing.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It doesnt matter when you should have baby number two i had my second baby at 21 and she is now 16 years old
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't think it's too soon to start trying.After all,you never know how long it's going to take you.I think it would be a good age difference;your children will be close enough in age to have lots in common but your first-born has also had some time with you alone.As far as your body is concerned by now it is completely back to it's pre-pregnancy state (it takes about a year)and I imagine you will just go through a pregnancy that will be completely different and yet very familiar,if that makes any sense to you.With each baby it may take a little longer to lose the baby weight and return to a place you're comfortable with,body-wise.That's normal.That's all I've got for you.Good luck.
    daye62

Answer by daye62 at 6:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think only you and your DH can know how it will affect your family. My oldest was 2 weeks shy of his 2nd birthday when my middle child was born and they were 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 when my 3rd child was born. For my family this worked partly because it had to and partly because we wanted out children close in age. Yes at times it was hard having 3 children under the age of 5,a lthough now they are 13, 11 and 9 and they are all very close. As far as your body I would look at how things went with your first child. You might start showing a little sooner, and yes the baby weight might take a little longer to come off, although maybe not. My sister lost her weight right away after her 2nd child.

So if you and DH think you are ready for a 2nd child then I would start trying by the time you get pregnant and have the baby you DD should be closer to 3 possibly even 4 depending on how long it takes.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I had my 1st daughter May 5, 1997 and gave birth to my 2nd daughter June 7, 1999. They were 2yrs, 1month and 2days apart in age. I spoke with the doctor who delivered my 1st baby about getting pregnant again so soon before I in fact did get preganant because I too was worried about the effects on my body. My doc told me that it was not only fine to get pregnant that soon after, but it was also beneficial to my body to get pregnant that soon after. After explaining it in technical terms and me staring at him dumbfounded when he had finished, he then started over & explained it like this...The first time you get pregnant, it's all new to your body and there is alot of adjusting going on, same with the birthing process, then it takes a while for your body to get back to it's prepregnancy state. People that get pregnant again soon after have the advantage of their body...will cont on next answer :)
    melissa415

Answer by melissa415 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• physically speaking, no, it is not too soon. doctors recommend waiting 18-24 months after your first child to start conceiving the next, they say it takes about that long for everything in your body to heal whether your first delivery was vaginal or c-section.

even if you conceived this baby tomorrow, your daughter will be passed her 2nd birthday when the next one comes. that, in my opinion, is a great age gap.

my older two daughters are 26 months apart, we got pregnant with #2 when my first was about 16 months old. then, we got pregnant with #3 when my second was only 4 months old (big birth control oopsie) but now they're 4,2,and 1 and while i dont have much sanity left, things are working out just fine. my girls are best friends :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• not going all the way back to the prepregnancy state and in turn your body "remembers" and adjusts much more smoothly to the changes about to take place...he was right! Even if your body does go back to prepregnancy state, there are many advantages. There are going to be pros and cons with it just as having more than one child to begin with does and having them FAR apart does. I'm glad I did it, they are sooo close! We could do more things as a family becasue they were close in age and on the same "level" so to speak. I got to reuse a lot of things from my 1st which saved us tons of money and the things weren't outdated. They share a lot of the same friends, they are on the same school schedule, etc. The important thing is jsut making sure your first is able to get the same amount of attention when the baby comes, REMEMBER THE 1ST IS USED TO BE THE ONLY ONE. (Will use next message for the downfalls that I had)
    melissa415

Answer by melissa415 at 7:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The downfalls I had were only in the beginning, after that as I stated before everything was great. We had 2yr old off the bottle (of course), the pacifier and was potty training. When the 2nd baby came, our 2yr old would take the babies pacy and wanted to start drinking from a bottle again. She wanted to be treated like a TINY baby again. But that was all short lived. The biggest downfall for me was the fact that when I had my 1st, I was able to do other things or even rest while she was napping. When #2 came along, that was more difficult considering even though the baby would go down for many naps, I still had a 2yr old to care for and give attention to so I would try and pick one of the early afternoon infant naps to get my 2yr old to go down for a nap at that time so I could either get things done or take a quick 15-30 myself. The other being the fact you can't leave your older alone with the baby for a second.
    melissa415

Answer by melissa415 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's fine, physically. The only way it could affect you physically is if you're not back to the size you want to be...but even that would be more mental. The second pregnancy is likely to be harder on you than the first one, just because you'll be taking care of another active child while pregnant, not much you can do to stop that, and it will probably happen regardless of the age of your first (unless you wait until she's old enough to take care of herself).

As far as effects on your family -- and again, this doesn't have anything to do with being "too soon", it will happen regardless of age if it's going to happen -- you might have to worry about some jealousy issues from your current daughter. But you can help that by keeping things the same for her as much as possible, keep some "mommy/daughter" time when she can be sure of having your full attention, and let her help with baby. My son didn't have any problem. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's only too soon if you think it is.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2011