Do you sanitize your kitchen sponge? If so, how?

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I put mine in the microwave for 2 minutes several times a week. Studies show this kills more germs than running it through the dishwasher. Just make sure the sponge is very wet before turning on the microwave.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'll run it through the dishwasher every few days, and throw them away after 3 weeks or so. I also have a separate one for dishes vs. wiping down the counters.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I put them in the dishwasher every few days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i never use a sponge. i use rags
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I usually toss them out after a certain point. I put it in the microwave a long time back, but it was always easier to just replace it.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 7:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I usually will put it in the dishwasher everytime I run it, which is about every two days, then after a couple of weeks of using it, I'll retire it from the kitchen if it's still in decent shape and use it for scrubbing floors, etc. To wash it after those tasks, I put it in the washing machine with my other cleaning rags.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I like sponges and I do sanitize them in the dishwasher. I also cut them in half, that size works better for me and they last twice as long.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:28 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have just started using sponges. I put two in daily rotation, since I am using the dishwasher daily. I like the scrubby part on the back.. I was wondering if anyone had used the microwave to sanitize too.. thanks ladies!
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I put mine in the dishwasher too. I prefer to use rags though, they are easier for me.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 8:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2011