Should abortion be legal?

I know, I know. What if a child/lady gets raped, what if the mother's life is at risk? What if there was something fatally wrong with the child? But these reasons are rare and in fact only account for 7% of abortions done in the US. 90% of the women that get an abortion is because they accidentally got pregnant.

If only about 7% of women are having abortion because of medical reasons or violence should abortion be legal or should it be a medical necessity procedure where one has to get a clearance of some kind?

What are your thoughts?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The government has no business dictating that a child be born if a woman becomes pregnant.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would never personally get an abortion but I also don't think the government has a right to tell women what they can or can't do with their bodies. With that being said, I am a firm believer that if you get yourself knocked up, then do the right thing and get it taken care of IMMEDIATELY not months down the road.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The government has no place in my uterus. Yes, abortion should be legal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes it should
    sunshine6384

Answer by sunshine6384 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have seen so many parents that I think should've never been parents.
    Tell me, if the woman doesn't want the child, what are you going to do, force her to have the child and take it away from her when it's born? Force her to have the child and have to raise him/her? What are you going to do when that child that was born to a woman who didn't want it is abused or neglected or abandoned?
    Not to mention, if abortion is legal, women will go to a legal clinic and have a procedure done correctly and not risk their lives as much. If abortion is illegal, it will still happen, but in much more unsafe ways. More women will die. We have enough kids that have had to be taken away from their parents for abuse and/or neglect, you want more?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Not to mention, that the government should have NO say in what I do to my body. I personally don't think I would ever get an abortion. A child is too precious to me. But I don't think the government should be allowed to tell me that I can't have one. That's like the government telling me that I can't marry someone, or that now that I'm married I HAVE to have a child. Or just as simple as the government telling me that I can't get a tattoo or a piercing. My body, my decision.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Abortion is the taking of a life. Granted it is a life that has never existed outside the womb of its mother, but it is a life nonetheless. So, the question really is "Should murder be legal?". I don't want murder to be legal. At some point in time, the government might decide that I am unnecessary or in the way or an inconvenience; or the government might give someone else the right to decide that if I don't meet certain criteria, I or members of my family can be killed. The truth is that such things are right now being considered within the borders of our country.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes. Back alley abortions killed way too many women. Plus, when you give a fetus rights you take away the mother's. This could be a slippery slope.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think that should be a woman's choice. No one else should have any say in that decision.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2011