Do your 15 month olds do this or not yet?

Hi all, I have a 15 month old DD and she has not yet learned to stay beside me when we go out and she is not on her stroller. I have tried to make her understand stay close to mommy or keep on holding mommy's hand but she just wants to run around, being distracted and having fun lol. As much as this is great, it's not really convinient when we're at the super market and I want to leave her to walk a bit but I can't shop like this cause she runs around everywhere! Do your toddlers do that as well or is it just mine? Thanks!

Also: When did you start training your DD or DS for potty? I got her the toilet seat that makes it smaller and I am wondering if I should just introduce her to it or if its early still.

Marianne140

Asked by Marianne140 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kids were toddlers up until they were 5, I always kept them in a shopping cart or stroller; they were were happy being there so it wasn't really a problem.

15 months is a bit early to start potty training.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No, not many 15 month olds know to stay beside you. I started around that age, but it takes a while to teach them - it's about self control and toddlers have very little of that! However, my 2 year old does know that if he doesn't stay right next to me, it's into the stroller/cart for him. He usually has little trouble sticking close. But in a parking lot or somewhere else he can get hurt/lost if he goes even a little ways, I make him hold hands.
    The youngest I ever started potty training any of my kids was 18 months, but if she's showing signs of readiness it's worth a try!

Answer by missanc at 8:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My daughter was in her stroller at 15 months. She started walking next to me at about 18 months, but I had a belt that was attahced to her wrist and mine, so if she let go, she couldn't go far. So she learn to hold my hand or at least stay close.
    She's 2 now. We go to the mall without a stroller or belt all the time and she stays close by.

However, if we go into a store where I know there are a lot of small things she's going to want to play with, she will go on the seat of the store cart. She is a child after all, and likes to play. She's usually just trying to pick something up to show me, etc. However, it's a lot safer to have her in the cart.

If you want to have your 15 mo walking in the grocery store with you, you're going to have to go with someone else who can stir the cart or pretty much to the shopping while you walk with your toddler. At 15 months she won't really understand that it's not safe to wander off.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• yeah 15months is still too young to understand to stay put. its freedom for them. to run around. they just learn how to get around on two legs they want to explore. heck my 22month old would run around still. she is alway always in the cart or stroller. i have tried it and it was a diaster.

i bought my dd a potty chair at 15months. it was good for her to learn about it. she has peed on it a few times and pooped a few times but i have yet to really do it 100% with her. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My dd stayed in her stroller at 15 months or the cart, and as far as potty training don't push her, you can introduce her to it but let her go at her pace, offer to let her go potty every half hour or so make it fun so she doesn't feel it is a job ,I did this with my daughters and they loved to go potty by the time they were 2. and by 2.5 they were out of pull ups.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It is quite unrealistic for a 15 month old to stay behind you.I would not expect that until they were 5. My doctor said potty training is best started around age 2.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I dont 'even try he is crazy.. lol I either hold him put him in a stroller, cart or backpack... the only place I let him run free is the park he has a mind of his own.. as for potty training it really depends on the kid but 15 months is kind of early just don't expect much success.. but I guess you can always try
    big_red05

Answer by big_red05 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011