Cloth menstrual pads users adult content

I know this is a TMI question, sorry about that, but have you noticed with cloth that there really isn't a smell like with disposables? That was my biggest complain, as well as my friends, about pads when we were in school: we could kind of smell the blood. I made a few cloth pads last week to use with this cycle, and I haven't been able to smell blood a single time with the cloth. Anyone else experience this?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Health

• How do you make them? I know what you mean about the smell. I want to try and make some too. Are they absorbant enough?
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have never heard of reusable tampons how does that work?
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You need a Diva Cup.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• What's a Diva Cup?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• http://www.divacup.com/

A resurrection of something women used years ago, and is perfect for someone who really really wants an alternative to all the waste with pads and septic problems with tampons, or are fearful of chemicals used with their production. Not for everyone, there is an ick factor-But they do work great overnight or for women who are heavy bleeders and can sometimes bleed through pads or tampons. It even helps with TTC. I think there are even cheaper devices available now that go by a different name and work as well. For someone who wants an alternative it is a good choice.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'm probably going to get a Diva Cup with my tax return (I either have to order one or drive 2.5 hours, I'll probably do the latter because I need to go to the city anyway).

I've made a few from patterns that I searched for. I just googled "cloth menstrual pad patterns" or something like that, printed a few off, and started practicing. I'm not perfect yet, but I made a few and used them with this period and they did really well! I'm using those microfiber towels that you can get in an automotive department (like at Walmart) for a few bucks a pack as the stuffing (I made pocket style ones so they come clean easier and dry faster).I made the top layer (that touches skin) out of flannel, and the backing is just some cute fabric I had leftovers of. I'm going to try fleece, too, but I'm not sure when/how. I think a couple of sewing groups on here have patterns and how-to posts about them, also.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I am a bit hesitant about the Diva Cup, though, because I cramp soooo bad I can hardly stand or walk sometimes. That's one reason I started making pads. A lot of the disposables irritate my skin, also.

Oh, and you can make reusable tampons, too. I know that sounds kind of icky, but I'm considering trying it out lol (if my cramps are ever bearable lol).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You can make them out of baby socks lol. I'm not "lol-ing" you, btw, it's just that I think it sounds funny. You get some baby socks (I would go with white, personally, or red, but white is so much easier to find around here), wash them like three times (drying between, like with cloth diapers) with a mild detergent, then when you're ready to use, roll one up (or two, together if you need more protection) and insert like a non-applicator tampon. When it's time for it to come out, remove, rinse very well and put it wherever you put other menstrual things (like pads) until it's time for a wash. Stuff like that should always be washed with a mild detergent, to prevent irritation (I looove my Soap Nuts! started using them with cloth diapers and I've been hooked ever since).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011