Craving tuna

you know drs tell you to watch your intake of fish and seafood during pregnancy. this is my second baby and with my sone I didnt eat any tuna because of the mercury fear. i ate fish, mainly whiting and tilapia, and shrimp with no problems. but I am really craving tuna. nothing else is good to me because I want that tuna. can I have it??? what do you think?

RishawnsMom

Asked by RishawnsMom at 9:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Very little. We often crave what we know we can't have or shouldn't have. I wonder if they have a soy product that tastes like TUNA?
    sounds pretty bad doesn't it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. Mine said that occasional tuna was fine.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• According to the printout my doc gave me re: fish and mercury, one serving of tuna per week is safe during pregnancy. If you're really craving it, go ahead and have a sandwich. One low dose of mercury won't hurt the baby's development anyway..consider how many children were carried full term and healthy before the mercury issue was discovered.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• of course you can have it. I had tuna once or twice a week. Add ingredients to the tuna, like celery, onion, boiled egg white,etc, so youll eat less actual meat. And choose chunk light in water rather than albacore- albacore has more mercury. Honestly, I never really bought into that stuff, and ate as I normally did... tuna, cold cuts, and all.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 9:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Stay away from albacore tuna. the chunk light tuna is much lower in Mercury. Also, do not eat yellow-fin or tuna steaks. Do you have access to a whole Foods or Earthfare? I think they sell a mercury-free canned tuna----and their deli tuna salad is made from it. I craved tuna also when I was pregnant and wa afraid to eat it. I did take a small can and made about three meals out of it, so I could get the taste without using a large amount.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 10:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• LOL serioussifL, we totally had the same information! LOL
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 10:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• chunk light is fine, no albacore. I know the Subways by me only use chunk light in their tuna... I love it!!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• OK so I had to satisfy the craving and it was sooooo good. I dont feel guilty either because it was chunk white in water and I made a salad out of it. Now I just hope I'm not craving it for weeks like I was grilled chicken with honey mustard lol. Thanks ladies.
    RishawnsMom

Comment by RishawnsMom (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I ate tuna, a lot of it with both pregnancys. With my DD i was working at subway, and ate it just about everyday. Its normal chunk light, not white albacore.(which is worse). I love tuna, I will eat it every week. Just about the only fish i eat. And boooooyyy am i craving fish now! lol THANKS!!!
    StephMosDef

Answer by StephMosDef at 3:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• And i will eat it with this one too!
    StephMosDef

Answer by StephMosDef at 3:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011