my son told me that he doesn't remember the last time he had a bowel movement??!!

(he's 9 years old) he woke up this morning and told me his belly was hurting him. when i suggested he try going to the restroom - he said he couldn't remember the last time he had a bowel movement. naturally i kinda freaked out but went ahead and sent him to school. i am gonna schedule him an appointment or take him into urgent care - i don't think that's ok.

MsElastigirl

Asked by MsElastigirl at 9:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would get him from school and have him do a stool sofneer that you can get over the counter.
    marinewife0311

Answer by marinewife0311 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Skip the doctor and go buy him some Miralax. Feed him a whole bunch of fiber and push the water. If that doesn't work,CALL the doctor.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Feel his stomach and see how hard it is. Do the stool softener. But increase the fiber in his diet.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If it has been too long, you may need to use a glycerin suppository, but only under a Dr.s recemondation.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 9:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Give him a glass of prune juice. That will do the trick fast and naturally.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Give the boy some warm apple juice and some prunes or raisins, if that doesn't work, then call the doctor
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Depending on how long it was he might need an enema but you should only give him a child's one if the doctor says so. I have had to 2 it twice with my 4 kids and I can tell you it works very very well. Though its not a good experence for either the parent or the child. If you can use other methods(like something oral to make him go) its better I think.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011