I got notice yesterday

that I am getting laid off and my last day is friday---you know tommarrow, so what should I do wait till I get my last check which will me like $2000 and say I spent it and go apply for more food stamps, or do it know before I get the check they ok you for fs for a year so I would not have to claim it. I am also applying for unemployment and I am getting a big tax refund, should I hurry and file and get the refund before I file for unemployment or do I not have to claim that money on unemployment because it is not earned income. I am saving my refund for emergancies--like car, furnace or something the kids need and I can't find the money anywhere else. I am a single mom with two kids and no child support but I can live off unemployment and fs if I have to for a long time, I was going to pay a years worth of rent with my tax refund. What else should I do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• You are getting laid off this year, you are filing taxes for last year.
    Your employment situation for this year has no bearing on what refund you get for your taxes last year.

File your taxes whenever you want. File for unemployment asap.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 10:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• dont freak out , just take one day at at time. Monday just go file for unemployment and since you got laid off, u will get it.
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• no I ment I am getting like a $8000 refund I do not want it to affect getting unemployment, because I want to pocket the $8k for emergancies
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The refund will have zero effect on unemployment.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• That is money that is part of your gross income so its already accounted for.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• First you apply for unemployment on Monday morning. Secondly, your tax refund has no bearing whatsoever on how much unemployment you get. I would wait in the food stamps. You might get another job soon and not even need them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• do not ask ant questions and only answer the questions they ask do not volunteer any thing.and go apply for everything you can get .good luck
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with PP
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think on the PA applications they will ask you when you expect your last check and how much you expect it to be.

I've heard with the tax refund that you are allowed to get that one time amount in your account and stay on PA. But I think in most states you have to have less than $3000 in liquid assets. So maybe use that money to pay ahead on rent and utilities? Check to make sure that is correct.

If I were in your shoes I'd file for food stamps and unemployment as soon as possible. Depending on where you live it could take a couple months to get all the paper work turned in and have them approve you for it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i am going to appy right away and turn all my bank accounts to cash--they can't trace that
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2011