Let's talk about the other side of the abortion debate...

I think we can all agree that we would like less abortions in the world. Regardless of the side of the debate you fall on.

So why then, is it so difficult to obtain permanent means of birth control? Why does a partner have to sign off on tubals, and vasectomies in some states? They all but tried to talk my husband out of his. We have three children!

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• thats a great question. Why arent other methods more readily avaliable to young girls, or those at the poverty level?
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• otc BC is readily available to anyone who wants to purchase it.
    walmarta is open 24-7 and is fairly cheap.
    how much more " readily available" does it need to be.
    gas stations carry condoms all the time. teenagers can text and drive but they cant put 4 quarters in a metal box?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• walmarta.....haha,....can you tell I've been to Atlanta recently. lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• That's not the question...I'm asking why people have to jump through hoops to get permanent control...kids can get free condoms easy enough, it's just that no one wants to use those.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• In answer to your question, permanent means of BC is controversial and usually requires a Physician.
    A physician with a liability carrier, a fee involved, and an insurance carrier to work with, and sometimes a non compliant or uneducated patient who will and likely CAN change their mind.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I had to sign off on his V-day... and then there was a month waiting period to make sure you were sure. And they threw all kinds of scenarios at him, like, what if your wife leaves? What if she dies?
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have often wondered this myself. I wanted a tubal after my first child because I knew I didn't want more children. The doctors told me they wouldn't do it. I wanted one after my second child because I knew I didn't want more children. The doctors were willing to do it but the hospital doesn't allow for elective tubals. Now, after my third I have finally found a doctor which is willing to do it and a hospital where they will do it. Now, I'm not someone who did this, but I could have easily aborted, I even considered it... Frankly I not only think it should be easier to get but I think it should be easier to get covered my state insurance. If a woman gets pregnant we (tax payers) have to pay for her pre & post natal care & delivery, plus the babies health care. Instead we should offer to cover tubals/vasectomies for those who just don't want kids in the first place- it's cheaper in the long run.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Lovin
    all those questions have to be asked because of prior lawsuits. And the high number of reversals.
    One couple who decided to sue because of a vasectomy performed on an un informed patient ( according to the lawyer) is not worth making a thousand couples happy with the paperwork involved with their request for a procedure.
    which brings us to the new field of semi permanent BC for women. BC that is easily reversed.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It is because they are afraid of lawsuits. Research has shown that women are more likely to regret a tubal ligation and seek reversal if it is done before the age of 25. However, such majority is so slim. I know I had to go through 3 doctors to find one willing to do Essure on me due to my age. Many wanted me to wait till I was 30. That is ridiculous.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree condoms can be gotten for FREE at any health department. I don't see why abortions are so readily available, IMO, people should have to jump through hoops for those. I remember when my husband got his vasectomy, I had to agree to it, yet a woman can get an abortion without even telling the father.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2011