Does your child attend a college-based highschool?

We are going to apply for the high school program at our local community college for our 14 yr old. The H.S. is 5 years and they graduate with an A.A. degree. According to the website they will be in classes during H.S. and college sessions. This worries me since I'm a full time college student as well and have a crazy schedule plus 2 smaller kids to tote to their school.

So, does anybody have experience with this type of highschool and what can you tell me about the schedules, pros, cons etc.
Thanks.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• never heard of it but i think it wuould be great. and would get him thinking more about what he wants to do when he gets older. me i went through my local community college to finish up high school ( i was a senior) due to the fact that we had moved and throught the highschool i need well over a year to finish (mainly electives) where at the college i only needed one class and get my high school diaploma. they called it a high school completion program and it was cheaper to do it after i turned 18 but i wanted to get it done before then so i paid the extra cost. and it was twice a week at nites. and i really liked it. it was a no high school bs type of thing and the instuctor was a college instructor as well. most of the people in my class were also in their 30s. the crazy thing about it is that the high school never said anything about it so when i talked to the advisor i was geared up to do the GED but she told me about tht
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• North Carolina does this. Here's some friendly advice, IF you chose to do this with your daughter, do not allow her walk and receive that A.A. IF she is looking at a 4 year college afterwards. Instead, she should take her credits and apply as a college FRESHMAN that has some credits to transfer in....this way she is eligible for scholarships and financial aid that would otherwise be unavailable to her.

Also, if she adds summer courses, she can finish in less than 5 years, most of the kids here do. If she's not looking to go through the ritual of graduation, prom, etc....it is a great program.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My son is in a college based high school, but its run on the high school schedule.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I am not familiar with this type of program. My daughter attends an academically advanced high school.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have never heard of a program like that. It sounds like a wonderful alternative to the traditional route.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 8:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2011