What does persecution mean to you?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• per·se·cute (pûrs-kyt)
    tr.v. per·se·cut·ed, per·se·cut·ing, per·se·cutes
    1. To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.
    2. To annoy persistently; bother.

Dictionary definition seems satisfactory to me.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• When someone is out to make your life suck for no reason.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• To me? It means that someone or a group is making your life harder, being bullied, fired (ect) because of your beliefs in your religion.
    NJPhotoMom

Answer by NJPhotoMom at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Circumstances that threaten the life, health or means of support of you or your family.
    In other words - assigned mandatory OT at work until the workload makes you physically sick and they fire you when they learn you don't practice the same religion they do = persecution
    withholding medical treatment or shelter because someone isn't the "right" religion or has traits that go against a religion = persecution
    your child being beaten at school by classmates who saw him enter a building of worship of another faith = persecution
    a co-worker breaking into your car and dumping in 3000 religious tracts because you're Jewish and everyone else at work isn't = persecution
    Someone saying "happy holidays" instead of addressing your personal holiday by name = get over yourself
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It means that religion is used as a weapon and it should be eliminated.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• At a minimum harassment over things like religion or race, but usually things like violence, torture, oppression, cruel or inhumane treatment of others, physical or mental abuse of people, and general deprivation of human rights to those who are different are the types of things that come to mind when I hear the word 'persecute'.

To me, it is NOT disagreement, discussion, or differences of opinion.

I may discuss the details of a religion with someone, and in the end just agree to disagree after the discussion, but I will DEFEND their right to their beliefs and will not push my personal beliefs on them. I don't think anyone has been persecuted here in the RD section, because it's voluntary. People can skip questions if they're offended. If someone is sending private messages or harassing specific people, that is crossing a line IMO, but to me, true prosecution means depriving someone of rights and possibly violence.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• that should be true *persecution* at the end
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• When someone vandalizes my car for being Atheist, that's persecution. When someone disagrees with me on an internet forum, that's a difference of opinion-not persecution.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Persecution is the drawing of blood, the breaking of bones, and being burned alive in a cremation oven because you practice the wrong religion or the wrong sexual preference. Persecution is guillotines, stretching racks, firey crosses, torture, and the point of the sword or a gun in your face, just before you are killed. Persecution ISN'T disagreeing with someone's beliefs and showing them the truth that they don't want to see. Words cannot harm you. But there are actions taken by others that CAN harm you. That's persecution.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Persecution ISN'T disagreeing with someone's beliefs and showing them the truth that they don't want to see. Words cannot harm you.-

isn't that the full truth?!..but around 'these parts', Truth is subjective..and therein lies the 'persecution'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011