Money for sports team but NO money for schools?

Sorry about the picture being all weird. I saw this some place else. Im not sure why it is all blackend out, but that is not to important.

I saw that the school maybe closed to due lack of funds. But then the Diamondbacks got a 100 million dollar place JUST TO PRACTICE IN. what do you think about this??? Is this wise spending?? 

since this is a debate, you can say your opinion. I will not argue with you cause I want to know what other people think. 

sunflower1986

Asked by sunflower1986 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sports Teams generate revenue and are a part of the capitalist free market.... Public Schools are not.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Grly beat me to it
    schools consume, the diamondbacks pay taxes
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• oh i did not know that. that is very interesting.
    sunflower1986

Comment by sunflower1986 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• However, it can be argued that even though sports teams generate revenue, schools are an investment in our future. If we don't make sure that our children are well-educated, we won't be able to compete with the rest of the world. It's short-term profit vs. long-term investment.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

We can only throw so much money at a problem with zero results, before the time to reassess what the problem actually is. The answer is not more money.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• But closing schools is?
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Sometimes the school issue isn't that they don't have the money at all, it's usually due to a budget dispute or difference in what was requested vs. what was approved. We had a county in this area that closed for a few days while they battled it out, and it was all over $800,000 dispute between the school board and the county commission. It was really upsetting to parents that kids were out of school for a few days (even though sports teams were still practicing for some reason), but they worked it out and approved a budget to reopen the school Ridiculous IMO, since they had plenty of time to work this out before the school year started.

With all that said, it's unfortunate that we emphasize sports more than education in this country. I don't mind some sports--I happen to like hockey and can tolerate a few others, but education should be a priority IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's not just the revenue - when you look at public schools more times than not the money is invested into the sports before the academics. I was really surprised to find that as a teacher you are required to show up at games and "support" the school but things like plays and concerts don't required "support".
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree with jsbenkert. The US is already falling behind in education. The answer might not be throwing more money at schools but nobody seems to know what the answer really is. Our schools are a joke now.
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I can give you a lot of reasons and a few solutions.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2011