I have a real issue with people telling me things about my son. I am a first time mom. But I have to watch myself because I get irritated from all the advice from friends and family members. I know I'm hard headed. Is this normal?

First time moms-irritated with all the advice.

DjMom1129

Asked by DjMom1129 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was the same way and after 3 kids they are still like that!
    youngmomiof3

Answer by youngmomiof3 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• SO NORMAL! I was the same way with my first I wanted to yell at them--SHUT UP I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM! but after you have been a mom for a while and have another especially you find yourself on the other end sometimes wanting to give advice too! I just try to not do things that annoyed me-- and if the friends and family are relentless, tell them politely that you appreciate their trying to help but you really want to do this your way!
    akayday

Answer by akayday at 3:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• yes. unfortunately everyone loves to be really helpful:) i find myself doing it too sometimes.
    emmasmom25

Answer by emmasmom25 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Just smile and let them give what they think is helpful advice. Remember that they will be leaving soon! Also remember that if it's older women, they sometimes worry they have lost their value in life so giving them that moment to tell you something they think is important might be the kindest thing you could do for them. You have the rest of your life to show everyone what a good mom you are. Let them have that brief moment. They mean no harm. Feel the love.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Sometimes tho, it is good to tell ppl to back off in a polite way. Especially if they are really stressing you out and making you feel down on yourself.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Been there done that and we are all just trying to share knowledge..Good luck and congrats!
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 7:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• smile, nod head up and down and walk away and do whatever you want...
    my favorite answer, "hmmm, that's really interesting information, thank you!" with a big smile on my face...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 10:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Everybody that has a child seems to know everything dont they! Nobody ever waits for you to ask a question or even want advice. There were times in my pregnancy when I thought "if I hear about one more lady's dramatic delivery, I'll kill her" and its the same way with parenting advice! Ignore the bulk of it, you have instincts and know your baby better than everyone else.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Same for me when I had my first. I remember being extremely irritated because sometimes people just argued. I't annoying but you have to just either ignore it or repeat "My doctor advised me to do this and this is what I am doing" or "Under whose authority is your advice coming from?"
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2008