gallbladder surgery

I had gallbladder surgery last Friday, had staples removed 2 days ago on Tuesday & last night I started hurting in my upper abdomen, and noticed a large knot under the incision. It is very sore to touch, move, stand up, stretch, etc. All of my incisions have closed well, except that one and it is somewhat open and red bc of knot I'm assuming. I called the surgeon that done the surgery, and they said it may be from lifting (even though I haven't done much??) and to come back NEXT TUESDAY?? Idk if this is normal, or not?? Has anyone else had this issue? Or can anyone give me any advice on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Health

• I'd be concerned about infection. I have a friend who is in the hospital now with a severe infection she got after having gall bladder surgery. She has already had a second surgery to remove the infection, but it had a hold on her and she is still hospitalized 2 weeks later. I would insist on being seen.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I had mine take out last Friday too... Crazy. I havent had any of that happen to me, but I havent lifted ANYTHING! Too much pain for that. Best of luck!!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• This happened to me too. It turned out just to be a stitch that was under the skin. I was totally freaked out, and my doctor laughed and laughed. Hope everything turns out so simple for you!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• if its red and sore it could be abcessed,or be a simple infection both of which require that you see your doctor..I had gallbladder surgery several years ago and the surgeon knew I was a nurse so he knew that I would watch out for infections and such...had some mild redness at my belly button closure site,ended up using neosporin on it..healed fine for me. Unless you have experience in med/surg nursing like me go see your doctor or go to the er...better to be safe than sorry!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I had dissolvable stitches when I had mine out not staples. It was done Laparoscopically with three small incisions. My Son was 10 months old at the time, so I had no time to rest except when he napped. I had a little soreness but no real pain afterwards. If you run a fever or the incision oozes then call the Dr. back ASAP. Otherwise, you just need time to heal.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Did you have it done the old fashioned way or Laparoscopically? When mine was removed it was laparoscopically and I had three tiny incisions that were scabs, never even had stitches.

Also just be careful....some people who get their gallbladders removed get a side effect called "Bile Salt Diarrhea"! It causes stomach cramps, pain and rushing to the bathroom...it's basicaly bile coming out because it's not being processed. Anything can trigger it, water, coffee, even though the common thought is greasy foods. I had it daily for 4 years after my surgery, now at 7 years post-op I have it about once a week.

http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/bilesaltDiarrhea.html
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011