Law and Suicide – Does the law underestimate the long term impact of abuse on its victims? adult content

While the world was talking about AZ, Bill Zellers took his own life. He left a note, which has been published by tech media to keep the message alive. It's too long for one question, I'm putting part here and part in RD. It's definitely worth reading the whole thing, I only have the parts relevant to the questions copied in.  From the last message from Bill Zellers:

My first memories as a child are of being raped, repeatedly. This has affected every aspect of my life. This darkness, which is the only way I can describe it, has followed me like a fog, but at times intensified and overwhelmed me, usually triggered by a distinct situation. In kindergarten I couldn't use the bathroom and would stand petrified whenever I needed to, which started a trend of awkward and unexplained social behavior. The damage that was done to my body still prevents me from using the bathroom normally, but now it's less of a physical impediment than a daily reminder of what was done to me.

This darkness followed me as I grew up. I remember spending hours playing with legos, having my world consist of me and a box of cold, plastic blocks. Just waiting for everything to end. It's the same thing I do now, but instead of legos it's surfing the web or reading or listening to a baseball game. Most of my life has been spent feeling dead inside, waiting for my body to catch up.

(a lot left out here - see the whole thing)

I'm just a broken, miserable shell of a human being. Being molested has defined me as a person and shaped me as a human being and it has made me the monster I am and there's nothing I can do to escape it. I don't know any other existence. I don't know what life feels like where I'm apart from any of this. I actively despise the person I am. I just feel fundamentally broken, almost non-human. I feel like an animal that woke up one day in a human body, trying to make sense of a foreign world, living among creatures it doesn't understand and can't connect with.

I have accepted that the darkness will never allow me to be in a relationship. I will never go to sleep with someone in my arms, feeling the comfort of their hands around me. I will never know what uncontimated intimacy is like. I will never have an exclusive bond with someone, someone who can be the recipient of all the love I have to give. I will never have children, and I wanted to be a father so badly. I think I would have made a good dad. And even if I had fought through the darkness and married and had children all while being unable to feel intimacy, I could have never done that if suicide were a possibility. I did try to minimize pain, although I know that this decision will hurt many of you. If this hurts you, I hope that you can at least forget about me quickly.

There's no point in identifying who molested me, so I'm just going to leave it at that. I doubt the word of a dead guy with no evidence about something that happened over twenty years ago would have much sway.

(more here - at the link)

People say suicide is selfish. I think it's selfish to ask people to continue living painful and miserable lives, just so you possibly won't feel sad for a week or two. Suicide may be a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but it's also a permanent solution to a ~23 year-old problem that grows more intense and overwhelming every day.

Some people are just dealt bad hands in this life. I know many people have it worse than I do, and maybe I'm just not a strong person, but I really did try to deal with this. I've tried to deal with this every day for the last 23 years and I just can't fucking take it anymore.

I often wonder what life must be like for other people. People who can feel the love from others and give it back unadulterated, people who can experience sex as an intimate and joyous experience, people who can experience the colors and happenings of this world without constant misery. I wonder who I'd be if things had been different or if I were a stronger person. It sounds pretty great.

I'm prepared for death. I'm prepared for the pain and I am ready to no longer exist. Thanks to the strictness of New Jersey gun laws this will probably be much more painful than it needs to be, but what can you do. My only fear at this point is messing something up and surviving.

(rest in RD question)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would say the Judges may not understand.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• So sad. And even if he did identify the person, whatever punishment they were given (if at all) would never be enough to make up for what was done to this man. I can't imagine living my life the way he described in his letter.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Although not everyone responds like Mr.Zellers. Research the horrible bio on Joyce Meyers.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

Answer by jewjewbee

Everyone reacts differently.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't honestly think I can come up with words right now.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• People who molest children, I know I've read that they have the highest instance of re-offense. I know there's a better word for that, but my heart is aching right now, and my language fuzzy. I want to hold my babies.

I've always held the belief that convicted child molesters should be shot. I'm not talking about the more controversial 16 year old dating a 20 year old... I'm talking about child rape. I just don't understand why we let these monsters out into society again, why we let them hurt our babies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Some judges feel limited by law, some are jaded be seeing it regularly,and some just don't understand the impact on the victims

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Steal loose a hand,rape loose that body part too!!If we do not set ground rules in stone soon we are going to continue on a path of destruction.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011