Are you lucky enough to live in a state or school district that furnishes most of your child's supplies?

In California all we had to get my daughter was a backpack. Here in Tennessee we supply every single thing my children need for school - in doubles - and halfway through the year we have to resupply several items. We also stock teachers at the end of every year, so they are ready for the next year. And the PTA and parents supply office paper and printer ink for the entire school. Bogus.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in

• We are in Cali and the school supply list was very minimal. And they only asked us to get what we needed for our child plus kleenex for the class as is quite standard these days I believe.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We buy all our kids supplies and some items for the classroom. Welcome to a Republican state where people don't believe in paying taxes. Low taxes means less resources.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• we supply everything from pencils, to dry erase markers! it goes a little to far when the teachers start telling you what brand to buy! i have 3 boys in school, and i am NOT going to buy a 10 dollar pack of dry erase markers over a 3 dollar pack!!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We buy all school supplies at the beginning of the year and each child is required to pay $60 for a materials fee. Which is basically what the teachers use for anything they need to buy throughout the year.

I think it is fine. I would rather buy the supplies than the teachers, who is already underpaid have to buy it with their own money.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Uh no. My son isn't in school yet (in the fall he starts kindergarten) but my friends have kids in school and it's amazing what they have to buy! Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to buy supplies for myself and homeschool him. Plus our grade schools wear uniforms now. But the school district is one of the worst in the state! It's frustrating...
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I definitely don't mind furnishing supplies for my children, within reason. I don't mind fulfilling some items on a teacher's wishlist. I MIND supplying an entire school with supplies that are not directly for my children's use! Where is the funding from our tax dollars going, exactly? It isn't all being used to pay the teachers any better. It isn't being used to supply their own office supplies. And we have to pay materials and book fees. We are required to purchase class shirts and "stronly encouraged" (read practically tortured) into joining the PTA and paying $30 per parent/person to do so. I was on the PTA board for 2 years before I just got fed up with the whole ridiculous thing and resigned. By the way, that asking for specific brands, etc. is always a pet peeve of mine too, itzmyzoo!
    misses_nick

Comment by misses_nick (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Have to supply my own although there are some inner city schools that they TEACHERS pay for all the supplies for every child in their classroom. My cousin spent over $500 on supplies last year for her classroom and she does NOT get reimbursed for it. I have NO problem buying my son ANYTHING he needs for his education, that is my job as a parent. I dont even mind buying extra to help out other families.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011