celebating someones life not death

i know alof of people grieve in different ways. the only really close person i ever lost has been my grandfather. it was extremely hard and it still makes me cry even three years later. but 1yr after his death came my beautiful baby girl so i figure there is this new life and he would not want us to mourn his death. he was never like that. the endless memories are more then that one day sadness. i know its extremely difficult. and i still cry. my grandfather was like my second father. but i want to hear how others celebrates someone life rather then their death on the anniversary of their passing. my grandmother lights a candle. i just think about all the happy memories. he is buried close by so we bring flowers or visit.

i have no idea what topic to put this under so i just choice religion.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Every year on my grandmother's birthday we bake a cake - her favorite cake. And we started this for my husband's grandmother as well. I think on them on the anniversaries of their deaths and maybe we'll mention them in our prayers those days, but we celebrate them only on the days that they would have been celebrating with us.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I bring out my photo album and show my boys pictures of my dad. They never got to know him so I like to share stories about my dad with them.
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I light a glittery-white candle with a purple ribbon tied around it (purple is for rememberance). I don't do a lot, because I know how involved the spirits of our loved ones remain in our lives, and I get visits from them often. I don't really miss the contact because they are always there and they send signs of their presense. But I do miss the touch of a living person. Each of my four grandchildren were born after losses within the family. It demonstrates the circle of life and that, often, out of death comes new life!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I lost my father in 1980,still not over that.He was everything to me.He taught me all i know about life and living.No other influence on my life has ever been so profound and i will miss him until i join him.And yes he is around,i feel him in my times of hardship ,and pain.I have had dreams where i talk to him,and believe it or not some of the things he said would happen to me have really happened.I have no doubt in my mind he is here.Sounds weird I know but its true.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• the anniversary of my dad's death was yeasterday. I just told him I loved and missed him and went about my day..pretty much the same as every other day. Mostly the sad days are his birthday and holidays. I have faith I will see him again and so though I miss him I am ok even though at times it doesn't seem fair..but that's life. I also lost a close grandpa and I will frequently remember the good times we had and not worry about the bad parts and how sick he was. A friend of mine lost a sister close to her sister's birthday so every year they celebrate her birthday by going to Disneyland or some other "happy" place and then on the anniversary of her death they make cupcakes and have a cupcake party. I was once invited to this "ceremony" and thought it was a great way to remember a loved one. Ironically her sister's name is the same as my dd's.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011