my son wont stop screaming , what do i do and how can i stay calm?

so my son is 16months he screams causehe is excitement around other kids and all animals (we just got a cat from a friend we didn't want the cat to be homeless) i know that's normal but the pitch of the scream is very loud and scares the pets also when he dosent feel good, we dont know what he wants, when wants something and we say no or its all gone he will throw himself back hitting his head on any thing n every thing screaming so loud people can hear him outside(it can be between 1min to sometimes 1hr) its very hard for me cause i try a few things that sometimes work but it just seems hes getting out of control then if it happens when daddy's home it really upsets my husband and he gets upset im having trouble staying calm i try 2 calm bypicking him up n trying to rock him, checking diaper, hunger, thirst, i did try to restrain him i don't like that it makes it worse
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son does that (and he's not sick or injured, or otherwise in serious need of help) I simply walk away. If he's not in a safe place, I move him to a safe place and then walk away. He doesn't really do it much anymore. To keep myself calm I do a few things. I watch my breathing, making sure it's slow, even, and relaxed. I relax my shoulders and jaw. And I sometimes do simple arithmatic in my head (2+2=4, 4+4=8, 8=8=16... and so on...). It forces my brain to think logically and thereby short circuits that hot-headed frustration. Give it a shot.
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't know what else to add. Anon above said it perfectly, and I absolutely agree!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I agree, make sure he's safe and ignore him. That'll nip it in the bud very quickly. Once he sees he's not getting any reaction, it won't be any fun anymore and he'll stop doing it.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I would try what everyone here has suggested. But, if after some good time, if this doesn't stop, and your sure his screaming is not a temper tantrum, have him checked for autism. I have one autistic child and another child diagnosed with mental illness.
    Jennifer91501

Answer by Jennifer91501 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i have been trying the ignoring him but he will continue to scream and crying sometimes lasting hours
    Anonymous