Former Teacher turned SAHM

I am still new to this stay at home mom thing the transition has been rough on my husband and me. I am looking for practical tips on how to be a better SAHM. Specifically:

How do you plan meals for the week?
How do you grocery shop and where?
When and how often do you cook weekly?

Add any advise that you think is important for me to know. Are there any books that you would recommend to help me?

tdbaas

Asked by tdbaas at 11:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Everyone's a Homemaker by Beverley K. Nye
    The Mother's Almanac by Marguerite Kelly
    Superwoman by Shirley Conran

What did you do for food before you became a SAHM?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I watch the grocery fliers for good deals and I plan my meals around those items. I also stock my freezer full of things when they go on sale. I also make extra of most meals and freeze enough to pull out and reheat on a particularly busy day.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I usually go to the grocery store on Mondays, with a list of things I need (pantry items, milk, etc.), and then I base my menu for the week on what's on what proteins are on sale/look the freshest. I cook just about every day of the week, but I will have DH pick Chinese or something up on occasion :)

I had a hard time transitioning to being a SAHM after working for so many years. It's been 3 years now, and I don't know if I do it "right," but I do what's best for my family.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Meals for the week - I sit down with the grocery flyer before I go shopping and work out the meals from the specials.
    Shopping - done with coupons on the Wednesday after the new sales go in to effect. We usually do most of our shopping at Harris Teeter because they have the better specials with their discount card, better meats, and better produce.
    Dinner is cooked most nights. There is one rushed night during the week and we do take out that night.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011