What do you think are the reasons for the decline in children's behavior overall?

I mean things like children hitting their parents and speaking in extremely "fresh" tones of voice, not listening, etc.?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 11:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• no morals there my grandsons and kids have no respect for me or any adults. if i spoke like they do id be gummiing my food. i know parents have to work you need two incomes these days but kids dont have supervision like grandparents, aunts and uncles ,cousins to help watch them and give advice to them. plus theres a lot of really of really bad movies, vidoe games , and tv out there.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I find parenting has changed in the past decades also the world has to .....kids parents used to spank them and make them do chores etc they could play outside all day until the street lights came on with no supervision etc, people also had more morals back then and respected there elders. Kids has to work hard to get what they wanted which made them appreciate things more ! Its a bunch of things with parents,kids and the world!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• because we spoil them more, every child has everything they want, they feel they deserve everything
    NewForMe

Answer by NewForMe at 11:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Parenting, plain and simple. Gone are the days where kids played outside and built forts out of blankets and pillows. Video games, computers, and other electronics have destroyed the overall function of kids. As a rule, parents always want better for their kids than they had, which today, equates to instant gratification. When I was a kid, candy was an actual treat. Rarely given. Now, it's part of a diet. Kids want, kids get. They don't need jobs because their parents pay for everything. Another thing, is now there is an excuse for everything. When I was a kid, ADD was new, but it was the start of a wave of excuses. If your kid does terrible in school, it's because they have some disorder. If your kid is quiet, its a disorder. People baby their kids to make them all seem like nothing is their fault. In return, instead of getting disciplined, they get rewarded by soft, kind words of "it's not your fault"
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 11:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think there are many reasons, but two of the main ones that pop into my mind are the breakdown of the traditional family unit, which much of the time creates instability and stress for children, along with inappropriate media influences. Much of the music and television--even media aimed at younger children and tweens--is crass and disrespectful.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think that it has to do with a sense of entitlement that some parents give their children. For example: when the whole class is punished because the teacher cannot tell who is causing the problems. IMO I made my son do the assignment because it is what the teacher told them to do, I know a few parents who didn't make their kids do the assignment because they felt, there was no way it was their child that caused the problem. Well the more you think "Not my child" the more your child can get away with.

I also think that because parents are so afraid that something bad will happen to their children they shelter them from the world, so when they get into the world it is like a free for all. My kids are taught about sex, drugs and alcohol. They also have chores and don't talk back to me. They are allowed to have opinions and are encouraged to voice them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• you just have a challenge. Basically Parents aren't parents. They are overdoting people who don't want their kids to experience any level of discomfort. Heaven forbid your kid has to do chores, and maybe doesn't get to hang out with friends after talking back.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 11:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Lack of discipline and the idea that children will grow out of rebellious behaviors. All of this stems from a lack of knowledge of the true role of parents which is to raise children to be honorable, respectful, responsible, and obedient.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Wimpy parents!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• family unit. parenting. lack of repsect and discipline. generations before me in my family never spanked, were not abusive, or anything like that. But we were taught discipline and respect...for others, for our elders, for oursleves. And that encompasses a lot. Things like listening, kindness, doing the right thing, a strong work ethic, being repsonsible, taking ownership for our actions, and so on. My son is very well behaived, popular in school, honest and kind, because we raise him the way our parnets raised us, they way our grandpanrent raised them...

But isdo see what you're talking about. It makes me crazy. I just want to say to the parents "SAY NO!"
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011