Accidental Rose Bush Trimming

We have a great garden area that we haven't touched since we moved into our house. When we first looked at it there was just dirt, more or less a blank slate. By the time that we bought the house, the real estate company planted some rose bushes, a few tress and random plants. We want to keep the roses and the trees are slowly uprooting the other plants.

My husband tried to prune our rose bushes, the extremely thorny kind, and they aren't growing. What do I do? How do I bring them back to life? We like using organic products and as little amount of chemicals as possible.

tdbaas

Asked by tdbaas at 11:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It is the wrong time of year for roses to be growing.

As far as I can tell, roses can't be killed --not even by digging them up by the roots and transplanting them miles away (we did that to one rose bush twice and it still came back where it originally had been)... although I understand cutting them down before the winter freezes are done will transfer the freeze to the roots and kill them, in harsh climates.

Dead things don't come back to life, dear.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• when did he prune and where do you live?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Winter is a good time to prune them back. Just mulch them well and in the spring remove the old mulch and replace it with a coating that doesn't cover the base of the plant. They will start to grow again in the spring. Make sure you buy some kind of product to use against black spot. That is a very common fungus that attacks roses.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2011