Knitting or Chrocheting

I have a grandparent, my daughter's great-grandparent, that needs to do something with her hands to keep her from being bored all the time. My grandma sleeps the day away and becomes delusional because she has nothing to occupy her time. She has some experience of knitting and used to crochet afghans. Since then, she has got the shakes and recently had a heart attack. Are there any projects that she could do that would keep her busy? Anything that she can make as keepsakes for the baby or useful house hold items? I'm looking into projects that take some time, but isn't too strenuous for her arthritic hands.

tdbaas

Asked by tdbaas at 11:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think crochet is easier, and she could try using a large needle and working for short periods of time, especially until she gets used to doing something again with her hands. Have you looked on line for easy projects? I found some simple patterns that way a while back. Another thing that many older people enjoy doing are the word search puzzles. You buy the books and all the person has to do is find and circle the words. I have an older friend in a nursing home who has arthritis and she will sit and do those puzzles for hours. You can even find books that have certain themes like famous landmarks, or Biblical places, or famous people. Maybe you could find one to begin with that centers on something she is truly interested in.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Pot holders are wonderful. They do not take long, which is wonderful since she has arthritis- a big project seems like climbing a mountain when you're in pain. The sense of accomplishment when you finish is wonderful as well. You could also find patterns for bath mits, washcloths, etc. that are useful, and you would actually enjoy using. You should google "Peaches n Creme" yarns. You can get them a lot cheaper from the manufacturer, cotton works best since it will not melt with heat like synthetics do, and is a lot cheaper than wool.
    I crochet like the wind, but I enjoy knitting more.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Maybe also try a knitting loom? That way she doesn't have to hold needles in her hands.
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Ah! Didn't think of that... A "Knifty Knitter" would work nicely as well. I really don't like them, but I know many people who do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• PP's have some great ideas. You might also check with hospitals and senior centers in her area. Sometimes they have arrangements with local organizations that will donate hand knitted/sewn/crocheted baby blankets, lap quilts, that kind of thing. Your grandma could contribute to others through her handwork. There is such a boost to our sense of self when we do something to help others. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• where every they sell the yarn supplys they have the free patterns, but the old stand bys of house shoes, pot holders, quick hats and scarfs are always welcome and use full.
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 3:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• With the arthritis pain one thing we use to do for the crocheters in the nursing homes I use to work at was get those grip things you put on pencils and put them on the crochet hooks. It seemed to help a lot. Scarves and hats are easy to make and she can donate them to the elementary, jr high, or high schools that have a larger population of poor children. I have talked to a few of the schools and they gladly take the donations and give them to the children they notice that need those things. I am starting this month getting enough made for next year.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Since she is crafty, she may love to make scrapbooks or even organize all of your photo's into albums. That's much easier on he hands and she can work on as much detail that's she's able to. Great for her hands and mind! It's always wonderful going through photo's and "remembering" special times. This way it can be something special for her that she is able to do but won't feel so frustrated and discouraged that she's unable to. You're so sweet to want to help her. Many grandparents aren't so lucky!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• She could use larger knitting needles and yarn and use the simple dishcloth pattern and just keeping making as big as she wants to and then decrease it back down for a afghan for the baby.
    The basic pattern is to start with 4 cast on and knit 2 yarn over knit 2. Then the pattern goes k2 yo k2 yo k2. k2 yo k4 yo k2. So if she was making an afghan she could start with a cast on of 12,16, or 20. and then just follow the pattern as (k6,k8 or k10) yo (k6, k8, k10) and then the pattern goes as big as you would like and then you decrease by k6, yo, knit 2 together, knit to the last 8 stitches k2tog, yo,k6 and just decrease down until you get back to 12,16, or 20 and then knit one row and then bind off and weave the tail in.
    I learned how to knit with this pattern. It is very simple and the dish clothes are very quick to knit.
    tyandlukesmom

Answer by tyandlukesmom at 2:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• what about plastic canvas projects using plastic needles. there's all different sizes. you can buy cut out patterns. try oriential trading.com
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2011