How many of you bake your own bread daily/weekly?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I bake my own bread frequently. As often as I have the time.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I bake bread about every 2 weeks or so - the kids don't like homemade bread for sandwiches or toast, so I use it in place of rolls for dinner. (And DH and I enjoy it in place of store bought).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would love to start baking my own bread but I still have a lot of learning to do. I make bricks, not loafs of bread lol
    MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well, I'll admit to cheating most of the time. For daily breadmaking, I use my breadmaker. BUT it is a very, very healthy recipe that I invented myself, and now no one in my family will eat any other kind of bread at all. Once a month or so I handmake the bread and bake several loaves. Inevitably, we give away 1/2 of them and put a couple in the freezer for days when I don't even get around to using the breadmaker.
    misses_nick

Comment by misses_nick (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Not I. I've no real hand for bread, though I've tried. Mine comes out really tough and dense most of the time. I can't tell if I've got the wrong flour, my yeast died off, I rushed the proofing, or it's my oven. (My oven doesn't heat perfectly even and it runs a tad hot.)

I did it a few times and no one wanted to eat it but me, so it molded before it was used up. :(
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't use the breadmaker much since I started using Artisan recipes. Sometimes I'll do an Amish friendship bread to keep going, too. We don't buy bread at all anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011