WHY CAN'T I BE A PRINCESS?

My 7 year old niece loves the Princess and the Frog and especially because it shows a black girl as a princess. Yesterday, my sister told me that my niece refused to do a requested report on princesses because her little best friend from school, a white girl, said the typical..."you can't be a princess because you are a black girl" statement...a statement I have heard a lot as a black girl growing up. My sister said she is going to make her daughter do the report and to use the opportunity to talk about African princesses. I told her to not stop there...that Europe also has black princesses. I told her about HSH Princess Angela and others. Go to utube and look up Princess Angela, an Afro Panamanian girl living in NY. Also Monaco has a high ranking black woman. I can only suggest that we haven't heard of them because they are black and our medium is controlled.  Go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Angela_of_Liechtenstein. 

Remember, you don't have to be born a princess to become one...look at Princess Diana.  She was Lady Di first, then Princess and then back to Lady Di due to her divorce from Charles.  The public gave her the name People Princess.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 11:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• ANY girl can be a princess!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• ummm aren't there more black princess' than white? i mean, just b/c of the "black people" countries and what not? does that sound stupid??? im sorry if it does.....i hope ya'll know what i mean......
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• any little girl can be a princess except for my daughter she is more like a truck driver
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Princess Diana. will always be a princess in my eyes..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• So I take it no one wants to go to that website. . . Look at the blogs. People are giving such beautiful comments. I dare you. Maybe this is why that little girl was ignorant. Her mother might not let her look, either.
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I looked and was AMAZED! IT is such a beautiful and inspiring thing to see that some people can grow and mature and even disagree with what we may see as wrong and speak their minds. And your daughter is a princess! dont let anyone tell you or her any different and obviously her parents arent doing that great of a job. Did you talk to your daughter about the comment the little girl said? what did you say? what did she say? I just hope that someday we will come even futher than we have and progress through the whole "black and white thing" but unfortunatly some people will never change and its unfortunate for THEM because they are missing out on, friendships, love, companionship, trust, and an eye opening experience. There are just as many asshole white people as there are black if not more lol. This is a very touchy subject to me as you can see. I grew up with and around every race and would never discriminate on anyone!
    simonsmama2022

Answer by simonsmama2022 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• oh and i would dress my daoughter up as a princess and send her to school lol say, "see here i am princess _____" lol.
    simonsmama2022

Answer by simonsmama2022 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011