WHY CAN'T I BE A PRINCESS?

My 7 year old niece loves the Princess and the Frog and especially because it shows a black girl as a princess. Yesterday, my sister told me that my niece refused to do a requested report on princesses because her little best friend from school, a white girl, said the typical..."you can't be a princess because you are a black girl" statement...a statement I have heard a lot as a black girl growing up. My sister said she is going to make her daughter do the report and to use the opportunity to talk about African princesses. I told her to not stop there...that Europe also has black princesses. I told her about HSH Princess Angela and others. Go to utube and look up Princess Angela, an Afro Panamanian girl living in NY. Also Monaco has a high ranking black woman. I can only suggest that we haven't heard of them because they are black and our medium is controlled.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 11:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• What a mean thing for that little girl to say. I'm white, but I was really excited to see that the Princess in the Princess and the Frog was an African-American. My DD (also white) has asked me several times why all of the princesses are always portrayed as white - except Jasmine. It bothers her greatly because her friends are all different colors, she sees everyone the same. I'm going to point her to the references you listed, it will make her day.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would suggest that we don't hear about them because we make no effort to find the stories of them (or illustrate the stories of them accurately) from around the world.

The Storyteller, by Jim Henson, and Long Ago and Far Away, narrated by James Earl Jones, were both excellent programs bringing the world of 'not all white western' fairy tales to children. Both of those programs are available today, if you happen to want to add some texture to the 'all princesses are blond with blue eyes, all princes have white horses, all castles have blue turrets' Disneyfied 'reality' of your children's understanding of the world.

The reason she can't be a princess (yet) is because she has to marry a prince to be one... since she wasn't born one, which is the only other way to make it happen.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• There has been many black Princess, you just have to educate.

California, that name came from a black princess.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• All of you can go to this link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Angela_of_Liechtenstein

This will prove that you do not have to be born a princess. This is a black woman in today's time. We no longer have to look for Disney to inform us.
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Kids can be so mean!!Of course she can be anything she wants and a very pretty one i am sure.Go for it!1Good luck,and be sure to tell your daughter that a dumb little white girl does not know all and never will!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011