Baby Nicknames

We have called her Gummi Bear since the day we first day we saw her ultrasound. She was the same size as a Gummi Bear and white in pictures they gave us.

My daughter is known to the family as Gummi Bear. Even her great-grandparents don't know her real name. I call her by her given name when we go out places and meet people, but everyone likes to call her Gummi Bear. She looks like a bear with her puffy checks.

Is it bad to have widely used nickname for the baby? Will that damage her development as she ages?

tdbaas

Asked by tdbaas at 11:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my daughter was born the nurse said, "She's such a little peanut." The name peanut stuck for a very long time. At almost 14 she is still super tiny, but we don't call her that any longer. She would get really angry with us if we did.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Just so long as she isn't signing her school papers Gummi Bear when she gets to that stage, and isn't telling people that is her name, I don't see any trauma or issues that can occur.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No it fine because it is said with love.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my second son's middle name is colton. we were going to call him by that but my oldest, who was 18 mos, could not pronounce it. it sounded like coco. now, coco is 9, and EVERYBODY, with a few expections, call him coco. he started football when he was 5, and he was coco. last year, he decided he wanted to by tyler. his first name. too bad all the coaches had been calling him coco for years! they could not rmemeber to call him tyler. now, at school, since he is with kids and a teacher who have only known him as tyler, they call him tyler. but if i call him coco to the teacher, she knows who i am talking about! does not bother him one bit!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• People worry to friggen much...she's not going to grow up to a be a murderer or a prostitute because you call her gummy bear. I think it's cute. My dad has called me Punkin since day 1 and I'm 40. never once did I feel sad because of that nick name. Infact it's special
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• B. That is what we called my oldest. He goes by his real name now but all his friends and family still use his nickname. His real name starts with a B.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No, I don't but when she gets to that awkward just tell her that she will always be your gummi bear.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I can't talk i still call my27 year old son Marky!!Just a habit,but we did the peanut thing to on another child ,to this day you do not call her peanut!!! Its cute when they are young but i would start using her real name too to get used to it. Good luck.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011