If you knew a man that was 44 years old..

...that has been in relationships, but never married...what would you think? That he was afraid of commitment, hasn't met the right woman? What?

The guy I'm referring to is one of the nicest men I know...incredibly sweet and hilarious, comes from a great family, has tons of friends! I can't figure out why he isn't taken. What would you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• He could be waiting for the right one or he is gay?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Why don't you ask him?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Marriage might not be "his" thing. Trust me, when I was out there dating, there were a ton of single men that age that had never been married. It's really not an uncommon thing for men because even if they wanted to get married and start a family at that age, not one would think twice. Rather it is a different standard with a woman getting married and starting a family at that age.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would think "THANK GOD, LESS BAGGAGE!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hmm tricky. It could be a variety of things. Maybe he is extremely commited to his job, or was earlier in life in the "prime marrying time" Maybe he is gay. Maybe he is waiting for the very perfect person. Maybe his is afraid of committment, or kids. (you know how us chicks are for the most part) Maybe he has lost of divorced friends and sees how that goes down. Maybe he is a player deep down. There are a thousand possible reasons and unfortunately, we dont' know him so we can only speculate.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 12:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He just likes messing around,until he gets one knocked up.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hard to say. He may be waiting for "the one" to show up or he's not marriage material.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My husband was 40 when we married. He had never been married, never had kids, but had dated LOTS. He's a great guy with a good steady job, extremely caring, a lot of fun to be with, great family, there's nothing wrong with him (okay, he's a little messy, but he's a guy!). He always said he just hadn't found the right one (ME!) yet.

Answer by missanc at 12:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• id think it just isnt his thing. he may be able to committ to someone forever, without the "marriage" title. just so its not a pain in the ass if things dont work out...kwim??? ive known guys like that (through my mom) that have NEVER been married, but would have a life partner.
    JT32606

Answer by JT32606 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would think he is one smart man! I would also be happy that he never just got married to be married. He probably hasnt found "the one" and instead on focusing on why he hasnt been snagged up, be glad that you could be the one to snag him. Dont let him pass you by because you think something could be wrong, you could be missing out on the love of YOUR life. You, i will assume and correct me if im wrong have been married and it did not work out. So if you new how things would turn out or waited longer maybe you would not have been married, im not saying that is your situation. Also it could be he doesnt believe in marriage. I bet if you felt comfotable enough at this point in your relationship he would probably be open to tell you why. Good luck and dont let this bother too much it could be a good thing!
    simonsmama2022

Answer by simonsmama2022 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011