Do you make your children go to church?

2boyz2pray4

Asked by 2boyz2pray4 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Under 18 yes, religion is good for all.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No. They always have the option of going with friends of mine in different faiths - they have gone a few times.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I never had to make my children go to church. They loved going there and still do today at the ages of 40, 37, and 33. They now have children, and their children love going to church, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't make them go every weekend although now that they are getting older a part of me wishes we had started when they were younger. For me I myself had ot go every Sunday when I was a kid and I think I really fell out of the church as I got older and different things happened in my life. Now that I am older I think it is a good thing to go to church every Sunday. I think the key is to find a church that you are comfortable with even if it is different then what you grew up with.

My children know about religion and we talk about it all the time!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• MAKE them? Well, mine are 8, 6, and 2. So they sort of naturally must go where I go. I think as they get older I will expect them to participate because that's what our family does, but if they are responsible and intelligent and can formulate a "good" reason not to, I MIGHT, just MIGHT consider allowing a pass. I don't believe in FORCING religion because you can't really force a person's heart to do anything, but whether or not they are confused or rebellious or disbelieving, church won't hurt them and being together as a family is important, so...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No. I understand the psychological development of children --if they're indoctrinated before they're 7, it's very difficult for them to ever learn to really think of it with their full, adult intelligence. So, believing that they have the right to choose what they believe, we allowed them the freedom and time to grow their brains before suggesting any kind of religion or faith or belief.

Reality first... theoretical answers to the mysteries of life second.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• my children are only 4 and 1, so yes they have to come with me to church, i cna't leave them at home while dh and i go lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My oldest one is 12, so yes they go with me. I'm not sure how I react when they are older if they quit wanting to go.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• if you want to call it 'force' because he is only 5 1/2yo and cannot stay home by himself, then yes, we do.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My kids go to church with me because they enjoy it. They get jealous if a sibling gets to go do something at church that they can't attend due to differences in age. If they didn't want to go, then I would have a long talk with them about why (growing up my sis didn't want to go because she didn't have any friends there - which to me just means she needed to go even more often to make friends) but as long as they are living in my house we go to church on Sundays.

Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011