How old is old enough to date?

I have a 13 year old son and he has asked to start going on group dates (movies, mall, game park, skating, etc.) I don't know,, I feel he is still a little immature and don't want him to get serious, on the other hand I know in middle school they are calling eachother boyfriend/girlfriend...but they break up or whatever every other week!

2boyz2pray4

Asked by 2boyz2pray4 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think if they are going on group dates and hanging out it is just fine, I have a 14 year old son and he hangs with a group of kids, mixed boy and girl. They do call each other boyfriend/girlfriend although not all of them do and I think it is great for them to hang out.

He is not allowed to go on a date just him and a girl, it has to be a group thing.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Dating is for the purpose of selecting a lifetime marriage partner. So the answer is that when your son is mature enough to be a husband and a father, he will be old enough to date. That is not to say that he cannot have friends who are girls, but I believe the best environment for those friendships is within the home. Our children were free to invite their friends of either sex to our home with our pre-approval and to entertain them here, which they did. Our children married at the ages of 24, 31, and 27. There was no pre-marital sex and none of the drama about which I read. All three are very happily married, and if I had the chance to do it over, I would do it the exact same way.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• At 13 group dates are great.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• group dates are the way to go for this age.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 12:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I would say 15 would be old enough to go group dates. Then 17 for one on one dates with a reasonable curfew.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 12:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think group dates at 13 are fine. I'm going to wait until my kids are 16 before they can go on "alone" dates.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• 16.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Man..you guys are strict. I went on my first date at 11yo, with a very nice young man from school. He took me to the local theatre to watch Space Jam. We held hands. That was it. Afterwards, he gave me a little peck on the cheek when his parents dropped me off at home. Just to let you guys know, I was 20 before I became sexually active. I went on several dates, spent plenty of evenings at boyfriends houses eating dinner, watching tv, just hanging out, but my "mama didn't raise no fool."
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My point being...that it all depends on the child and their maturity level.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• 13, to young.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2011