Am I the only Mother

My son just started to ride the bus after a long time of me taking him and picking him up. It si because he decided he wanted to ride the bus with some of his friends. He is 6. We live in a very nice subdivision and at the bus stop on our street, I am the only mother who waits for the bus and is there waiting when it arrives in the afternoon. Some of the children are younger then mine. Do you/did you wait with your child for the school bus?

sunsetbeach81

Asked by sunsetbeach81 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• The first few days of school I go to the bus stop with my DD, but afterward I don't. I can see her stop from my front porch.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes,I did even though it was right at my front door.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If my Son has to ride the bus (for some reason I can't think of), I will stand with Him. But I don't plan on letting my Son ride a school bus EVER, as long as I can help it.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i definitely would
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i dont really ever want my kids to ride the bus but i understand some people have to, but yes i'd definitely wait both times of the day. i think anything under 9 is too young to be going off by yourself. people probably dont realize how messed up the world has become.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I always used to, then I had my son and for various reasons he shouldn't be outdoors with extreme temps and sometimes he's napping and I feel weird about leaving him alone in the house. I just traded weekly homemade bread with my neighbor for keeping her eye on my children when she is at the bus stop (which is right at the top of our street, so I can see it from my own house). I still go up there as often as I am able to. It does kind of irk me that one other parent is never out there (I think because the bus stop is right in front of her house) because her son is a rude little monster, and it's awkward to discipline/put up with someone else's kid acting that way.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think it depends on the age of the children and how far the bus stop is away from the house. When my kids were little they didn't get a bus so it wasn't a big deal. Now that they are in middle school, 6th grade, I let them walk by themselves and they get off by themselves. At that age I would probably wait for the bus. I also think it depends on the number of kids at the bus stop and their ages.

I think you have to do what is best for you and your family.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My kids catch the bus in front of my house. So no, I don't wait with them. I do watch and make sure they get on the bus though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It is just a trial run so to speak while our van is getting some repairs and tent. He also wanted to give it a try. I am not to fond of him riding it. I would much rather I take/pick him up. I enjoy it. The stop is only two doors down, however I do not feel comfortable with him there alone. No matter where you live or how safe it may seem there could be a predator. The world is insane now. Thank you all for your input.
    sunsetbeach81

Comment by sunsetbeach81 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If my son rode the bus I would definitely be waiting with him in the mornings and waiting for him in the afternoons.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011