How can paint fumes hurt the baby?

just curious. I started to paint this place we moving into, very well ventallated and a HUGE construction fan going, but i only did it for a few min before i decided to not finish. BF and his mom and sister took over.. she didnt want me in the house anyways cause im preggo... what could it possibly do? ive never looked it up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Some paints (especially oil based) have solvents or pthalates (sp) or BPA ( I can't remember exactly which--and I think it depends on the paint) which are considered to be toxic to everyone (not just babies). If you're around fresh paint, I'd keep a window open.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 12:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Here's a link for you:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/243676-the-effects-of-paint-fumes-on-pregnancy/
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 12:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• yeah we had like 6 windows open, frint door and slider.. the oil based ceiling paint is what put me outside, it STINKS.... thank you
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't think that was clickable ---so just for the benefit of anyone who couldn't get to the article---I'll try tocut and paste.

Painting during pregnancy is not recommended, because the exact effects of the paint fumes are not well-understood by doctors and scientists. Different types of paint pose different risks to pregnant women. According to Baby Center, latex or acrylic paints aren't made using solvents, and for this reason, they are generally considered safe if the area is ventilated thoroughly. Oil-based paints, on the other hand, contain harsh solvents and require chemicals for cleanup. They are not recommended for use by women who are expecting.

Miscarriage
    Although the exact effects of paint fumes have not been fully determined, Lori Wolfe, a genetic counselor with Baby Center, explains that some studies have shown that exposure to paint fumes during pregnancy may increase the risk of miscarriage. Prolonged
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• well phooey----it wouldn't take the whole article. *sigh* oh well--go to the site if you want to read more. You're fine I'm sure, but smart to get away from the fumes.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 12:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• lol already have it pulled up,.. thanks you :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011