car seat question

I know I should know this but I'm a first time mom...at what age/pound to babies start sitting in a foward facing car seat? also, does anyone have any recommendations on what brands are better than others??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not until the child is AT LEAST 20 pounds AND 1 year old. It has to be BOTH, not either or. It is recommended, however, that you keep your child rear-facing until at least 2 years of age. I use a Britax Marathon in one car, and an Evenflow convertible carseat in my other car.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It depends on what state you live actually. In California the LAW is that they HAVE to be 1 year old theres no weight limitation its just 1 year old. whether you choose to keep your child rear facing longer is your choice but the LAW in California is only by age not weight. I like GRACO they are the best and have the top safety awards out of all other car seats.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Your baby should remain RF until at least 20lbs AND 12 months of age, preferably longer. Those are the limits generally set forth by the law, and most car seats. Most convertible car seats RF to 30-35 lbs, and it's safest to RF to the limits of the seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Keep in mind, that car seats have height minimiums and maximiums. My dd is 22 lbs but not yet 34 inches so she's still rear facing in our cosco convertible car seats. I like the cosco too. They are RF up to 35 lbs. And like previous posters said ti's 20 lbs *AND* 1 year at a minimium. Longer if posslbe.
    Anonymous

• Rear-facing is the absolute safest way for anybody to ride in a car. But it is so much more important for babies and toddlers to do so. Until about 3-4 years old, the cervical spine is held together by loose ligaments. It only takes the spine stretching 1/4 inch for the skull to literally be severed from the spinal cord. That is called INTERNAL DECAPITATION and very few people survive it.

So please, do not rush turning a child FF. Convertible car seats in the US will RF to 30, 33, or 35lbs. It is in every childs best interest to take advantage of those upper weight limits. It could mean the difference between life and death.

Car accidents are the #1 killer of kids in the US.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2009