do you let your kids run amuck in the store?

im not bashing if you do.. just simply curious how common this is. today i was at walmart with 2 of my 3 kids (1 is in school) and i like going to walmart because they have a cart with 2 extra seats so even if i had to take all 3 i would have a place for everyone to sit. but even when i go to other stores and they only have 2 seats, my oldest walks along beside me and the only thing she's guilty of is touching everything. she doesn't run away from me.. nor would i allow her.

i passed this lady who was using just a single seat cart with a toddler in it, and had 2 older boys, id say 6 at the oldest, chasing eachother but also kind of staying where she could see her. she didn't tell them to stop running, she just kept browsing the aisle. i thought to myself "that problem could easily be solved if she had grabbed a cart like this one, and make all 3 of those kids sit" but whatever. i would not tolerate that at the store. that's just me though.

so are your kids of the well-behaved kind in the store? or do you just let them roam free like its the playground?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no -if my kids started to act like that- their butts got put into the cart. I was a cahsier at WM for 2 years and OMG...some of the stuff aprents let their kids do is amazing...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• we've had very firm non negotiable restaurant & store rules/expectations from toddler-hood on. Attending the store and getting to provide input/opinions on meals, snacks, etc is a privilege not a right. You can stay in the truck with daddy or not leave the house at all if behavior isn't up to par. And if you act anything but like a lady/gentleman in the store you wont be welcome back and therefore will have no influence on what kind of juice, cereal, etc I get
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No, my kids have always known how to behave in the store, or anywhere else in public. The only time we ever had a melt down, we took our daughter out of the store and she got sick on the way home, so we knew why there had been such an issue.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• heck no! my son loves to go to the store/any store with me. he likes to help get items, and interact with other shoppers, asks questions of the employees, etc... but run around like a brat? no way would that be tolerated, and he knows it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Oh no.. either they walk like big girls next to me or they ride in the cart.. They are usually very good though.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i dont let my grandson run amuck in the store. hes either in the buggy or walking beside it.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• When I have to take them, they know not to act crazy. So no, I don't let them roam free. It only takes a minute for them to get snatched with your head turned. They stay right beside me or they know their will be consequences when we get home.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I require my walking children to hold the side of the cart (after I've swiped it with a tea tree oil wipe) and stay with me. I always get comments about how well-behaved they are, and while that is an extra perk I really look at it as a safety thing. I need to know where they are, and holding the side of the cart reminds them to stay put.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Heck no. The older two follow right behind me. When they were younger but too big for the carts they had to walk with me with their hands on the cart. but they are too big for that now and we would take up too much room.

I hate when people let their young kids push the cart around and they are down the aisle from the kid who now has a battering ram.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I can't say that my children are perfect in the store but I can say that I correct any problems that may come up or I leave the store.
    Jenn052402

Answer by Jenn052402 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011