how can say this right w/o argueing?

Ok so I have been out of work since nov, my retail company downsized. I have been trying to find a job but everyove is slow since christmas is over n sales are down in my area. The highest education I have is. My ged but I have lots of experiance. However I really want to go to school so I don't have to keep low paying jobs. I have tried applying for schools. Either I wasn't excepted (vet tech school) or I couldn't afford it. My husband works but makes less than 30,000 a yr. We. Have a child who will be 2 soon and I think since I'm not working and now we have a kid I might be able to get more scholarships but...everytime I bring up school I think my husband gets nervous about income. Things are streched as it is but the school I would be applying to is open enrollment and has an early ed class with a day care so I could put our son in there if needed. I don't want this to be another let down and I don't want my husband to be over stressed. I really think this would better in the long run. With a higher ed I could make more money?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• Have you looked into getting a pell grant?
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't know where you live of if you have any interest in it, but have you thought about going to nail school? It is not to expensive (you could probably get a pell grant) And the money is alot better than a hourly paying job. I am in the salon industry and most of my salons are in need of a reliable, nail tech. Just a though! Sometimes pell grants will give you more than the tuition to cover babysitting etc. etc. good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• more education normally always is the best way to make more money and actually have a career. maybe your husband is getting nervous about the money that will be spend on school and you not working? its possible to attend school AND work. what babysitting some kids in your home so you wont be out the cost of daycare and going to school in the evening or nights.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It seems like you have no grasp on how much it will really cost. How about the cost of that child care? Have you filled out an FAFSA for grants? Have you talked to the school about possible scholarships? The only way to help you husband be less stressed, is to lay out the plan for him. It sounds like right now you are just guessing and hoping.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Once you have narrowed down the school, you would like to attend, talk to their financial aid office. See what help is available to you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Layout a plan and stick to it ,you can do it.The longer you sit around talking about it that' s just what you will end up doing,talking about it.I shocked a previous employer when i told him i was giving him 6 wks notice.To start a new job.I made the excuse of a doctors appointment and went for a interview.Well 3 months later i got the job!!! go for ti!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• First, find and apply to the school you want. Then fill out the FAFSA to see what you MAY be eligible for. Checkout www.fastweb.com and www.scholarships.com for more sources of funding.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Start with a community college. Take Microsoft office classes, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Take one or two basic bookkeeping classes. You will find that you are much more marketable, and may even find a job with a company that offers tuition reimbursement

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011