My step son accidentally has killed 2 of our pets!

So about a year ago my step son left the gate open to our fence and let the dog out and didn't tell anyone until later that day and we found him on the road dead, today he was taking his sheets off his bed this morning and stepped on our kitten and it died shortly after. My husband (his Dad) is furious because this is the second animal that he has accidentally killed in the past year! My husband was so mad about the dog that he did tell him that he was responsible for the dogs death and it hurt my step son so bad. Thank God I found the cat after I had dropped them off at school and then told my husband because he starting flipping out again about him being so careless around our family pets. He works night so when I pick the boys up from school he will still be home and I'm worried that he will still bring it up. I have already decided that I"m going to tell the boys I gave the kitten away when they ask about it (Our momma cat had this kitten and I have been telling them we had to find her a new home for a week now) and I stressed to my husband not to bring it up. Should I talk to my step son about being more careful? We are planning on getting another dog this year and we still have 2 big cats in the house. I just don't want anything to happen to them and I don't want him to feel bad for accidents but most of all I don't want him to know he killed this kitten to.

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 1:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• how old is your son?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Aw poor baby. I would explain to him that accidents happen and it is not his fault and both his daddy and you love him very much no matter what. And sometimea daddy says mean things when he is angry but he doesnt mean them and it doesnt mean that daddy doesnt love him. He just needs to be extra careful moreso then others and keep an eye out and think about his actions.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Well they were both accidents (hopefully) I would say no more pets,, and the cats know probably to stay out of his way!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• How do you know how the kitten died if he wasn't even aware it happened and you didn't find it till after he left?
    Anonymous

• WOw that sucks..... poor animals..
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Is your son Autisic? How old is he? Does he reliaze even though these are accidents, that they can still be avoided. I would talk to your stepson with your husband but try to keep your hubby calm..

GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He's 9
    aheuszel

Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• how old is he and its not good to lie if your husband says something differant
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• JMO. Stop getting pets. Tell the kids are older.

Answer by louise2 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Anon because he took his sheets off his bed right before we walked out the door and said he stepped on the cat and it takes me 2 minutes to take them to school and I came in and started looking for her to check on her and found her dead.
    aheuszel

Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011