Do you support the GOP proposal?

Moving aggressively to make good on election promises to slash the federal budget, the House GOP today unveiled an eye-popping plan to eliminate $2.5 trillion in spending over the next 10 years. Gone would be Amtrak subsidies, fat checks to the Legal Services Corporation and National Endowment for the Arts, and some $900 million to run President Obama's healthcare reform program.

http://www.usnews.com/news/washington-whispers/articles/2011/01/20/house-gop-lists-25-trillion-in-spending-cuts

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 1:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am still looking over the details... So far. Yes, I agree with much of what I have researched.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'll have to read it tonight.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Same as grly so far so good..I agree but need to look further.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, I do.
    Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

This is one I find appalling.  So they can impose a death tax on the rest of us, but they give the families of their own members that die while in office a year's salary.  Wow.  They are so out of touch. 

I agree with a lot of the items in their list, but would have to look further into some since I don't really know what they are for.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It is REALLY great to have this information available to the public for us to review and discuss, isn't it?!

Also, I am very encouraged to see it coming out in the first two weeks of business ! (Congress lost a week of activity because of the Safeway shooting)

One gets starry-eyed imagining all the possibilities for spending cuts, no?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• $250 billion isn't all that eye-popping a reduction for a year's spending ...

Amtrack & Nat'l Endowment for the Arts are easy to eliminate - after all, they were both created to boost the public's participation and they have done their job as much as it can be done.

and ... ONLY $900 million ? (works out to $90 million per year)
    $610 million was designated in the Stimulus bill ( interestingly, this was NOT in the Healthcare bill, but was tucked into the Stimulus bill which went into effect several months BEFORE the Healthcare bill was even being discussed in the Legislature - the sneaky frauds ! ) for setting up that nat'l internet database of all our medical records.

If they block funding entirely for the new Healthcare machine (or get it repealed), they can prevent additional costs of over $600 BILLION in those 10 years. Add in that $610 million for the database, and then you're talkin' real money ! ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think it is a start, there is a LONG way to go.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Had to look up a lot of these programs to know what they are. There are a few cut that seem pennywise and pound foolish (it's cheaper to replenish a beach than to restore damaged property, for example).

Most of it, though, I actually agree with.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• it's cheaper to replenish a beach than to restore damaged property, for example).

I saw that too gd, and I was thinking that beach replenishing would be a state issue, not a federal one.  Most of our states don't have beaches, it seems a bit unfair to make someone in Montana pay taxes for sand in Florida.   IDK.  I am sure this is a subsidy for the states.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011