How do you know if your 14 month old son acts if he almost had a stroke?

My son was crawling around and he came up on our little dog, the dog snapped at him and it scared him, so he started screaming and i picked him up, then he held his breath. He just through his head to my chest and i knew he wasn't breathing. he through his hands in the air as if he couldn't move either. I handed him to my Grandpa holler "he's not breathing, he's not breathing" but as soon as i handed him to my grandpa my little boy acted as if nothing happend. he just smiled at me. Has anyone ever had this happened before? please help me it scared me so bad. i thought i lost him.

lovelycourt

Asked by lovelycourt at 1:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like the dog just scared him. Just keep a close eye on him today.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL OR HIS PEDIATRICIAN AND ASK THEM FOR THE ONCALL DOCTOR OR NURSE!
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 3:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Don't wait just take precautions b/c it is your son, has he been off balance with walking? How does his eyes look ? You should definetly look up a website that informs you if a person has had a stroke or not.
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 3:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Wow, sorry to be kind of blunt, but yall need to calm down. Kids will often hold there breath when they are scared or startled. It has happend more than once with with all the kids I have cared for. Just rub his back gently and talk in a ssothing voice and say come on breath hun. Morks for me every time. Now if if goes on for more than a min or he startes to turn ashed or blue, call 911 asap. Keep and eye on him, hes fine.
    LadyMorrgian

Answer by LadyMorrgian at 5:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My daughter does that once in awhile if she gets really worked up or startled by something. If he is acting fine then it's nothing to worry about!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Thanks for all the comments. well im 21 yrs old and i have two kids. my little girl is 2yrs old and she's never held her breath on me at all. and it just scared me because he a flopped in my arms towards my chest and i thought he done passed out, i think he did for like 2 seconds then all of sudden he just smiled at me like nothing had happened. it was weird. He's a chubby little boy lol well not that chubby but he's trying to walk now he'll stand up by himself for a few seconds then plop down. he would rather crawl instead of walk lol but thanks again for everyone's opinion i really appreciate it.
    lovelycourt

Comment by lovelycourt (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2011