what is the secret to keep from freaking out when your child makes a mess or destroys something??

LAUGH!

http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/

this website is sooooooo funny and all submitted photos. It has really changed my attitude about mess! If these parents can laugh at the little moments that make the day crazy and interesting why can't I ???

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was going to say laugh too hehe. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I thought Laugh as well when I read your question. With two little boys, 3 and 4, I would go crazy if I didn't laugh!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Oh boy, that's funny.
    One of the worst things one of my kids ever did was this...
    My husband and I had bought a fairly nice dark wood bedroom suite not too long before this incident (my dd was 6). It has a large, flat panel headboard. She took a nail and scratched over my side of the bed "Mommy Smith" (not our real last name, but you get the idea) and "Daddy Smith" over DH's side. On the headboard. Carved into the wood. Forever. It was a few years ago, so we can sort of laugh about it now. We still have the headboard, btw.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• oh my god vicesix that's crazy! and I bet she did it with good intentions, much like the "his" and "hers" towel set lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• This is the best site ever lol. I have 2 boys 28mo and 6mo when my oldest was about 15mo, Daddy left a tin of butter cookies on the coffee table, which I wasn't worried about because a one year old can't open a tin of cookies! I was getting Zarek's breakfast ready and I heard a strange noise.. I walk back into the livingroom and there sitting on the floor is the tin of cookies open and spilled all over the floor, and my darling son sitting next to it double fisting the cookies and taking turns biting into them.. I was about to scold him when I decided this was a picture moment!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Exactly! When we calmly and collectively asked her about it (we had to wait a while til we could cool down before confronting her, lol) she said she didn't want us to forget which side of the bed we slept on. LOLOL. God I love that kid.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Remember that they are only material things and everything can be replaced. Sometimes they are sentimental, but in all, they are just kids who really don't understand that carving your name in a headboard is wrong or putting a sandwich in a VCR opening isn't a place to store it for later...... They are little and they are just doing what all of us did when we were younger. I know that it makes us mad, but over the years I've learned that it just doesn't matter. You need to calmly talk to them and explain right from wrong, but do not scream or hit. They will remember only the bad things that you did, not what they did.

stuff4mee

Answer by stuff4mee at 1:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I've had four kids in four years, my youngest is now 16 months. I'm still learning how to keep my cool on just about everything. I have learned that when I am stressed or really tired I am more likely to lose it. So now i am trying to keep things simple and I'm also doing my best to stay in the moment by thinking only of what I'm doing at that moment. If it's cleaning up a mess than that's where my focus is knowing that this is all part of being a mom and having kids. Taking a moment to breath before responding works well. I talk to myself to remind myself that it's just a mess and can be cleaned and that kids are kids and need our patient direction to learn how to behave. It's hard and we won't always react the way would would like, but as long as we realize our wrong and ask our kids to forgive us we won't do too much damage. They will see that we are human and mess up too. Prayer is my number one way of keeping my peace.
    photomom13

Answer by photomom13 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• While photomom13 is correct of course, it's for a mom to clean and not get mad, I do wonder what it would be like if the men were running this? I always have to keep a clean home, no matter what, and it is so very hard to do we could lose our security or the apt. altogether if it isn't clean. I see it's more about keeping ''our cool''. Yes. IT IS. however it's hard to know that we can spoil them rotten (the dads) and the women have to bend like a palm tree and say nothing. I do let out my frustration, and I know they are human, making mistakes, but they need to understand that I will break if they get too much, too many, and too irresponsible on the responsibilities list.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2011