How to get my 3 year old son to behave with me?

Im a single mom with one son 3yrs, I have him on a routine w/naps meals and bedtime. The problem is he acts diffrently towards me than he does w/his teacher. I get the "NO!" sometime hitting, yelled at, and over talked. This is embrassing in public and also it is like he is a diffrent kid w/me. I shower him with love and affection so it can't be he is lacking attention. I have tried EVERYTHING...timeouts, direct stern communication, and even a little smack on the hand, although I would rather not hit, since Im trying to teach him not to hit me. Any advice anyone can give, it would be greatly appreciated.

TDubmom

Asked by TDubmom at 1:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's normal that your kid behaves better at school than with you...I think that is so with most kids. Kids are kids and they will do anything to get what they want. No matter what style of discipline you choose to use you have to be as consistant as possible. Less talk more action works best. They disobey they go to time out, no warnings no arguing. The sooner you nip it in the bud the better, so both of you don't get so worked up he ends up getting his way...kids have amayzing indurance and we are more likely to give in than they are. Read books or websites on parenting, but pick and choose what works for you don't let someone convince you that they're method is the holy grail to parenting. I love Dr. Ray Guarendi. He is down to earth and well balanced.
    photomom13

Answer by photomom13 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011