Is it better to get two dogs?

I found some really cute great dane puppies and i wonder if it would be better to get two so they won't be lonely when i have to go to work. idk if it would be easier persay but better for the dog to have a buddy to play with all the time.

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 1:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• it would be hard to take care of them... i have a great dane mix and he is super sweet but need alot alot of exercise and space to run around.. I only have 1 and he tires me out having 2 will be very hard.
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I'm not really sure if it works that way or not. I hope someone can answer your question because I am curious. I've never heard that getting two dogs would be a "better" thing than one. When they are puppies, they are so time consuming with the training and stuff.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I have three dogs and they do entertain each other. However, I personally would not get two pups at the same time because that is two dogs you have to housebreak, socialize and train. That is a lot of work.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Studies show that animals like to have other animal companions, even if they aren't the same species. My dog and cats spend quite a lot of time interacting and they sleep near each other a lot.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i think dogs adjust to whatever you provide for them. just make sure that if you get 2 you can provide for them. the one dog maybe happy to have a play mate but on other hand how happy will you be with the huge responsibility for 2 pups. you can take your new puppy to the dog park when vaccinated and make play dates so he has friends yet your not overwhelmed. think about yourself before thinking about what would be best for them as you have to be able to care for both and never face the decision of having to give one up.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• dogs are pack animals and will definitely be happier as a pair. 2 great danes huh? got a big yard and a deep wallet?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• No, it is never a good idea to take two at a time, although a lot of people do it. It is double the work, and the dogs will cause double the trouble. They will bond to each other faster than to you, making training and recalls more difficult as well. I suggest one dog, train it, then add the second dog and the second dog will take about 1/2 the time to train because it will follow the lead of the first dog.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• 2 great danes?!?!?! theyre like having miniature ponies running amuck in your house!! lol. my cousin had a litter, so had 13 danes in her house! it was fun though. i would get two if you have the time for training, and the patience for it all....good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with spottedpony. We have 2 puppies. We got the first one and she was almost completly trained when we got the second one. It is alot more work, but I think it's worth it. They are so much fun and so close to each other. The older one is 9 months, the younger is 7 months. They are very protective of each other and of my family. Where one goes, the other follows. They get quite a bit of exercise playing with each other, inside and out.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011