Please help, any advice please.

my puppy is about 2 months and two weeks old, I just got him a hollow bone to put things in to keep him busy, I went to the next room and started cleaning, and I heard the "mean dog bark" which I have never heard him do before, so I came running in. He bit my 2 yr. old. Not like a nip, there are bite marks in her arm, there was even blood. What do i do, he is in his kennel now, but this cannot happen, how do i teach him that the cannot bite my kids? I know now he'll never get that bone again.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Also the fact that he is doing this as a young age makes me suspect that this pup may be a domanant guy and needs to be taught now that the people in the pack are the pack leaders and he is at the bottom. Handle him as much as possible get him used to being held on his back. if he squirms do not let him up until he is still. Handle his feet and ears also. Have your child help feed the pup. Don't let the pup on furniture. Like I said make him work or everything even at two months he can learn basic commands so I would get started on that so that you can use it. Make him sit and wait at doors until all people have walked through first.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Sorry, this might sound rude but don't leave a 2 year old and a puppy in the same room alone together. That's asking for problems. It might not even be a problem with the bone, how do you know if your 2 year old didn't hurt the puppy?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He is very young. Too young to keep alone with your child. It's OK to keep him in the crate at this age. Only take him out when you are around to supervise or when you take him outside. what did the bone have to do with his biting?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agree, the puppy and a 2-year old should NOT be left unsupervised, period.
    mompam, maybe OP meant that the puppy was "guarding" his bone and that's why he bit the toddler.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He is still a puppy & needs to be taught not to do this...this is just normal behavior for most dogs...they get very protective over their foods & instinct tells them to react. They can be trained to not do this fairly easily just keep working with him & don't leave your child alone with him unless you are sure he will not do this again.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 2:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• a dog being toy aggressive is very dangerous especially when u have kids... Is the food food aggressive as well? It might be just because he is a puppy but if its not corrected now he will be like... I am not a dog expert so i would deff.. recommend u talk to someone about that.. sorry i couldnt help
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• He was being possive (also called resource guarding) of his bone this is very normal dog behavior. But you can teach him that that behavior is not exceptable. Make he earn EVERYTHING. When you feed him make him sit and wait until you give him the okay to eat. He considered that bone valuable and your 2 yr old may have either gotten to close or tried to pick it up. I would pick up all the pups toys for now and only give them when you can watch the pup and only when the pup does something you ask. There is a book called MINE! Resource guarding in dogs by Jean Donaldson. You can find it on Amazon.com. It teaches you how to correct this behavior. It can be done I adopted my lab mix when he was 2 years old and he did this with other dogs but never with people. This book helped me a lot.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• What Nanixh said was 100% right on because she didn't see what happened!
    Janet

Answer by Janet at 2:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• The 2 year old probly tired to take away the bone and the puppy bit. That is not a good thing. Definatly keep the 2 year old and dog in site whenever they are in the same place. If that were my puppy it would get severly punnished. Locking it up is a good thing. And I would have said no in a loud voice and (pardon the expression) beat its butt. (I am not into animal abuse so not over doing it but a spank or two helps reinforce that the behavior is bad). Don't leave the puppy and the child in the same room together unattended and give the puppy toys only when in its kennel or the child has gone to nap or bed.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2011