Selling your house

When you are having your house shown should you be there or not? We have two couples looking at house tonight and the times they gave us was from 6-7 and 7-8 there really isnt much to do for 3 hours. It is inconsiderate to be there?

emilyellensmom

Asked by emilyellensmom at 1:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Some real estate agents ask you to leave. When we were looking at houses most of the time no one was at home. But there were a couple of times when the owners were there.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• If a real estate person is showing it. You leave. We went a sat in our car down the street tell the came and left. So we knew we could go back in the house.  But after the house was in escrow. (It was being bought) We where their when they had the inspections and wanted to look around more.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You should leave. It is really awkward to look at a house and be critical when the owners are there. It might make it so they do not think seriously about the house.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I hated looking at houses where the owners where there. It is awkward. The one house we did view twice where the owners were there was a house owned by a very old couple that had limited mobility.

When we sold our 1st home, hubby was already working his new job so I was alone with our 4 children aged 10 - 3. I would take them to the park. Showing was by appointment only, and could only be for a 1 hour time slot. 1 hr was about all I could do alone with the kids at our park.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I also had the ability to veto the time slot. There was one day they wanted to come during nap time. I said NO!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I agee...you should leave. I live in S. FL. I had my house listed with one real estate agent that gave us NO advice for about 4 and 1/2 months and we had no offers. I fired him and hired another real estate agent who gave us ALOT of advice. Our house sold on the 5th day that it was listed with her. Keep in mind we live in S. FL. where the market sucks big time so having our house sell so quickly was phenomenal! Here's the advice she gave us:

House should look like it's a model home. Clean up all clutter. Counters should be completely clean. Toys should not be out.
    Get rid of all personal photos, figurines etc., always leave when someone comes to see the house, have some music playing (elevator type/classical music), light a candle, make sure the house smells fresh, pets should be out of the way (garage, outside, in a crate). Basically she told me once you list your house it's no longer YOUR home.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, leave. I know it's inconvenient (we just sold our house 10 months ago, so believe me, I know what a pain it is to round up the kids and get out for a while), but you want to have the best chance possible of getting an offer, and allowing potential buyers to have a leisurely, unsupervised (by you!) stroll through the house will help. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Thank you everyone!
    emilyellensmom

Comment by emilyellensmom (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think you should leave. We saw a house that had the people there and it was just weird and we went through really quickly and didn't buy that house.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I never liked being present when the house was being shown. And I've never liked looking at a house when the owners were there.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2011