When is the best time to introduce my baby to stage 1 baby food?

nati90

Asked by nati90 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say around 6 months old.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• 6 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Whenever your baby has good head control you can start on solids. I started with rice cereal at 2 months, then moved to stage 1 baby foods at 4 months. He's 5 months now, and we're doing stage 2 and introduced a sippy cup (with his formula). As far as foods, we started with yellowish veggies and moved from that to more veggies and then into fruits. I haven't tried any meats yet.

The main source of nutrition should be from formula or breastmilk (whichever you do), the food is just for "practice."
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• mine started cereal at around 3 months then stage 1 baby food around 4 1/2 to 5 months. arount 7 months we started stage 2 baby foods he will be 9 months in 3 days and he is eating stage 2 during the day and stage 3 for his last meal at night.
    Rhiannon1980

Answer by Rhiannon1980 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• 6 months. Babies should not be given solids of any kind until they can sit unsupported. This is to prevent choking and GI distress
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You can start solids when they are supported sitters, it says right on the packaging.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• At six months, talk to your pediatrician
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Thank you I appreciate your answers! He is so advanced, I didnt know if I should be atleast introducing him to any of the stage 1 baby foods yet.
    nati90

Comment by nati90 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• it says on most of the foods. Stage 1 is for babies 4-6 months. I make my sons food so I dont know much about the jarred stuff but we started my son on pureed food when he was 4 months and has been just fine. If you feel he is ready then go for it. Do what you feel is right and not what we think is right. If I listened to what everyone on here says then my son would be starving right about now :)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2011