Personal Politics

Do you have close friends and/or family members whose political views are the polar opposite of yours? If so, how do you handle it?

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not really. My mother in law is a Democrat and she when we first met would always make little comments about Republicans and Bush. She voted Obama in this last election and admitted to us she regrets it now (Never ever thought Id hear anything like that!). My husband WAS a democrat when we met, and I was a republican. So obviously politics and relationships dont bother me. I just think there are times to agree to disagree. Now my DH is an Independent but leans right.
    Everyone else we know are Republicans or Indies. We have actually lost friends over what we believe. Not because we care mind you, but the other party seemed to not be able to handle we didnt believe what they did.

Answer by gemgem at 2:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes! Of course!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't agree with many of my relatives when it comes to politics. The only thing we agree on is abortion otherwise they are very liberal and I am a moderate. They are very emotional about their politics so some have lashed out at me after elections and have been pretty darn hateful. I don't care to discuss politics with people who are irrational about politics. One of my brothers cut me out of his life because I didn't vote for Obama. He called me a racist and told me I was a bad person. I told him when he was ready to be rational and apologize for his behavior in front of my kids we can talk. It has been over 2 years not a word from him. Scary some do get so crazy about politics.

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 2:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yup.... We talk, we banter, we are smart asses, and we laugh.... C'est la Vie!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes! One of my favs was my former boss, very religious and conservative...we had wonderful spirited debates. Sometimes we agreed sometimes we didn't but we always respected each other
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We don't discuss politics with those family members who have A STRONG opposing view, for it isn't worth our time and energy. I really refer to TWO family members in particular-lol.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Of course I do. Some of them I debate with and with others we don't talk politics.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• A couple but the ones i talk politics with are all Conservatives
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yep. Some I can talk policy with and we usually have interesting conversations and agree to disagree about things. Some I just don't talk about politics with.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Some people I avoid because they're out of touch and brainwashed by the media. Others we talk all the time and have in depth conversations. It's refreshing to have the ability to see another point of view and to know we learn from each other rather than try to change each others opinions.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2011